• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad laminate adhesive or bad foil?

artofacks1

I printed Gerber Silver Medal 2 on convex 8mil and laminated it with convex 8mil.

After a couple days the adhesive seemed to start bubbling. Stayed smoothed on the silver medal 2 that had a navy and orange over print but look at the laminate adhesive on silver medal 2 foil.

Any ideas why this would happen and what I can do to prevent this?
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 269

Jase

Isn't this down to the silver foil? Did you use silver medal? If so I know I have had problems applying abrasion guard over silver and gold medal. If it is just the standard metallic foil then that should be fine. I'd contact gerber.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know you can't print other foils over silver medal, so I am assuming that you can't put that lam over it also.
I have never seen it lift itself off of the vinyl.

artofacks1

I know you can't print other foils over silver medal, so I am assuming that you can't put that lam over it also.
I have never seen it lift itself off of the vinyl.

I been printing other foils over silver medal for a lot of projects actually. That is how you get different colors by using transparent foils over it.

A lot of my competitors laminate silver medal all the time. Its really the only way to protect it for football helmets.

jfiscus

Rap Master
That's weird, we ran out of chrome vinyl one day so we tried printing silver medal and printing over it with red and black but it didn't work.
Never tried transparent foils, just thought it wouldn't work and jotted it down.
We laminate it with regular 8519 all the time w/o issue.

I would try pulling the layers of your decal apart to see where the real lifting is taking place.
We did a triple pass of black one time and the black separated once it was laminated and put in the sun.

artofacks1

You have to lie to your edge and keep it at 220 for the over print to work on silver medal.

8519 wont work for us as we need a thick laminate 8mil or thicker as its for football helmets.

I will admit that I am extremely frustrated with the material right now. Use 4mil and 17 laminate and the 17 shrinks to fast. Try to reverse print and the material doesn't stay on the liner. AAHHHHHH!!!!!

That's weird, we ran out of chrome vinyl one day so we tried printing silver medal and printing over it with red and black but it didn't work.
Never tried transparent foils, just thought it wouldn't work and jotted it down.
We laminate it with regular 8519 all the time w/o issue.

I would try pulling the layers of your decal apart to see where the real lifting is taking place.
We did a triple pass of black one time and the black separated once it was laminated and put in the sun.