• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding Issues

morty87

Hello i just started getting banding issues and im unsure as to why since i havent changed anything (to my knowledge)
I run a mutoh 1624 the file was a pdf i ran hi-gloss canvas at 1440x720. I had done a nozzle check and a normal cleaning before i started. Heat setting are at 31 n 33. If i go with higher heat i end up getting strikes. I have slack with the roll. I will attach the pictures. I am running 3rd party ink but this issue has just started. My black is getting lower...not sure if that eould cause this intermittently though? Any and all help appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180919_175447.jpg
    20180919_175447.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 205

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Canvas can really suck up ink so it makes ink flow issues more apparent. If the dampers are older than 1 - 2 years, you should change them just to rule it out. They are responsible for keeping ink flow to thee head while printing. If those faded parts are vertical instead of horizontal, you might need to clean the encoder strip.

tooler82

I used to have the same issue, but I fixed mine. I have a Mimaki and running Flexi, so I don't know how to do your settings. What fixed mine was I changed the passes to my max at 24. Never had a banding problem again. I had one before and it ended up being clogged printer head, but I knew that since I was gone for like 3 weeks and the test print was horrible.

jriley

You said you ran a nozzle check, but you didn't say how it looked. If you're having damper issues, it would manifest in the nozzle check. Let's see how it looks.

morty87

Canvas can really suck up ink so it makes ink flow issues more apparent. If the dampers are older than 1 - 2 years, you should change them just to rule it out. They are responsible for keeping ink flow to thee head while printing. If those faded parts are vertical instead of horizontal, you might need to clean the encoder strip.

Hello, no I did the print horizontal. The dampers were "apparently" all replaced only 5 months ago, with a new print head. Also told the cap station(?) I think it was also replaced. I can't remember the exact names at the moment, but was "told" it was all brand new. This doesn't happen all the time, the pic before on same material ran well but it was more blues. So ugh...not sure.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Hello, no I did the print horizontal. The dampers were "apparently" all replaced only 5 months ago, with a new print head. Also told the cap station(?) I think it was also replaced. I can't remember the exact names at the moment, but was "told" it was all brand new. This doesn't happen all the time, the pic before on same material ran well but it was more blues. So ugh...not sure.

Good to know. I would double check the ink lines above the dampers and make sure there are no air bubbles. If there are they will be easy to see. Since the drop out lines are horizontal, clean the encoder disc and see if that helps at all. The disc is located behind the left side cover of the machine and is clear plastic. If it gets dirty or dust builds up on it, it will cause horizontal lines that look like drop out.

Edit: I forgot to mention clean the encoder with isopropyl alcohol and not the solvent cleaner!

Last edited:

jriley

...clean the encoder disc and see if that helps at all. The disc is located behind the left side cover of the machine and is clear plastic. If it gets dirty or dust builds up on it, it will cause horizontal lines that look like drop out.

Just want to add, make sure to use isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth when cleaning encoder discs/strips, and clean in one direction (no scrubbing). I heard of someone using mutoh eco solvent on an encoder strip and it melted it >.<

edit: where's that nozzle check? :)