• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

banding on roland rf-640

PandaPie

hi, so i have been having some horizontal banding on my prints. and also this drop out. ive tried a head soak, multiple cleanings, etc. nothing seems to help.
any suggestions, or is this all pointing to needing to replace the print head?
thank you

Attachments

• printtest.jpg
    printtest.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 238

PandaPie

here is a pic of the banding as well. its really only on cyan and yellow

Attachments

• printtestcolor.jpg
    printtestcolor.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 126

damonCA21

The banding on the cyan is pretty obvious from the test print, but you also have nozzles missing on the yellow which is causing it. You can often get rid of it by changing your print options and quality. If you print using the W pass setting in Versaworks this takes more passes and can often hide banding. Also printing in higher quality can help

PandaPie

The banding on the cyan is pretty obvious from the test print, but you also have nozzles missing on the yellow which is causing it. You can often get rid of it by changing your print options and quality. If you print using the W pass setting in Versaworks this takes more passes and can often hide banding. Also printing in higher quality can help
i have tried high quality, does not alleviate the banding. what is the w pass?

damonCA21

Are you using versaworks? If you go into the print quality settings there will be two options, The default is CMYK-v and under that will be CMYK w pass. Change to that and see it if improves. You can also try setting the printer to overprint 1 or 2 times, which also helps cut down banding

PandaPie

Are you using versaworks? If you go into the print quality settings there will be two options, The default is CMYK-v and under that will be CMYK w pass. Change to that and see it if improves. You can also try setting the printer to overprint 1 or 2 times, which also helps cut down banding
thank you for your replies. so i get here but how do i change the mode?

Attachments

• qualitysettings.jpg
    qualitysettings.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 98

PandaPie

Set it to high quality, and also change to uni direction, this should let you then set it to W pass
hmm for some reason it still stays grey, where i cant change it. BUT i did *ignore default settings* and changed that to over print 2x and this is my result!
im going to keep trying, but i really want to thank you. i am kind of a beginner when it comes to messing with too many settings, and you really helped me a ton!

Attachments

• overprint2.jpg
    overprint2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • overprintX2.jpg
    overprintX2.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 73
  • unidirection.jpg
    unidirection.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92

damonCA21

That is looking a lot better. Not sure why it is staying greyed out. Try some of the other settings, like setting to generic vinyl 2 etc... If you make a note of all your original settings then you can always go back to them, so you wont damage anything.

Oh also you can play with the specify profile at the bottom as different ones give different amount of ink. I set mine to density control only. This gives better results when printing most of the time. I think if you set to that it may let you change to w pass

You will notice when you use the overprint function you get much richer more solid colours. It does use more ink, but I think it is worth it for the increase in quality you get from it.

damonCA21

Doh just had a thought! I'm not sure if you can actually use W pass feature on the RF. You can on the SP and VP, but I think some of the newer printers you can't use it, but play with the profile settings at the bottom and see how they look

damonCA21

My settings I use would be :
Generic vinyl 1
High Quality
Uni Directional
Head Speed 400
Profile : Density Control Only
Apart from the W pass the other settings are the same as on yours

PandaPie

so my boss ordered a new set up, printhead and all. any suggestions on where to find a good video or instructions so i can understand what im going to be doing to fix this?

damonCA21

If you get the service manual it takes you through it step by step in there, and also the calibrations you will need to do afterwards