• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bank Scams.. Are you a victim?

briderx

I feel like a news reporter right now, but last night something happened to me. I was with my brother going to pick up some Craigslist loot when I got a call from a weird number. Now, when people call the wrong number and end up dialing me, they get a funny answer or other comical response that I HOPE lightens their day... BUT, this was different.

The call came from 336 805-8945. The message played went something like this, "This is a reminder that you have an outstanding balance on your bank card. Please call 1-888-???-???? (I don't remember the number). So, I hung up, tried finding the "record" button on my cell phone and called back to the 336 number. "Welcome to card services, please wait and your call will be answered in the order received." Knowing what was going on, I wanted to do a little investigation to see exactly what was up and to see what they would try getting from me. After a few calls to that number, I gave up and hung up. I called my bank and this is where the story gets interesting...

I got the usual automated answer to type in my account number, instead I said "customer service." It asked again for account number and I responded again "customer service".. Third time it said "now transfering you to customer service, please choose from one of the options".. Well, one of the selections was "credit card" so I pressed the corrosponding number. Now, it was asking for the last 4 digits of my credit card number.. Feeling a little nervous I typed in 0-0-0-0. A long pause, then "you have an outstanding balance of $_ _ _._ _..

Wait a minute..?? I pressed 0000. I know for a fact my last 4 is NOT 0000. So, I finally get to customer service and I tell them that I feel very unsecure with this company, as I just bull$hitted my way into my own account. I asked him if they have ANY protection on my account and his response was this:

"Sir, IF someone were to break into your house, get on your phone and call us from THAT phone, then Yes, they would have access to your account. But, I think if someone were to break into your house, they wouldn't be spending time on your phone."

My response was, "well, unfortunately, my 'home phone' like 75% of the world resides on a cell phone that we can place in our pockets. It's 2009, not 1976. So, you're telling me that all somebody has to do is get my phone, look at my call history and recognize your number and they have full access to my account?"

"Sir, no, we have more protections in place. They would have to know the last 4 of your social security" - Him

"Well, with the way it seems, I could probably talk that out of you too.." - Me..

Okay, so long story short, this went on for about 5 minutes until I asked if I could put an audible password on my account. Now, whenever they call me they HAVE to say my personally chosen password in order to talk to me or my wife. Otherwise, they get hung up on.

This happened a couple weeks ago to my father inlaw. Evidently it's going around.. SO, be on the lookout..

briderx

I also wanted to add.. I asked the rep to check if they, in fact, called me. He said "we don't keep those records". It almost seems like they want their money stolen..

Pro Image

I got a email last night from BofA........asking me to check my account balance from the link they provided........I don't have a B of A account.......so I looked at the link and it went to some .ru site........Phishing for account #..............

coyote

They are like sharks just circling and waiting for someone to start bleeding. I got a call yesterday in Spanish telling me to enter card number to get cash back from some outstanding balance...My husband got the same call about 3 minutes before I did-we share a cell account and our numbers are only one digit off. These folks have computer generated phone lists and just call until they get a bite. Frustrating-Atty general of NY is investigating one of these frauds-the one that calls you and tells you your car warantee is about to expire. I HATE these people-they're electronic ticks trying to suck our blood.

BTW: your bank will NEVER email you asking for account information. Most of them have sent notices to that effect.
C

Last edited:

Biker Scout

No cell phone, no credit cards, no new car, no personal bank accounts... yet I still get these calls. Drives me nuts to even have any kind of electronic connection to the outside world.

At least I know where I stand when I get these calls. ALL FRAUDS!

TheSnowman

I'm tryin' really hard to figure out how you run a business w/ no credit card. Maybe it can be done though.

All I know is whenever I get a call from someone in a "business" and they can't give me a CC#, I write them off as a real business.

Biker Scout

Cash is King, Baby! :toasting:

I don't need a credit card for my business. Keeps me in the black. I do have 2 distributors that I can get materials on a 30 day net, however. That comes in handy from time to time, but mostly 50% deposits are what I collect before any work begins. That means ordering materials too.

I do have a debit card to make purchases online whatnot. I can accept CC's as a merchant. I think that's how I get on a lot of telephone lists for these offers. I'm pretty sure my phone number get's sold around many times because I'm a business. Oh, and the phone book people are relentless!