• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner sewing

what the

Owner/op
Can anyone guide me in the right direction as far as sewing banners.
What is best machine for doing small runs.
Thank you.
Amber

Ultimate13

We use a Singer double needle chain stitch machine that takes large spools (no bobbins). Biggest thing is having a properly made folder and learning how to use it well. You can go much faster just basically feeding material. Just takes some finesse and getting used to. I can look at the model number later today if needed.

WildWestDesigns

I'm fond of commercial Juki or Pfaff or Brother machines. Pfaff moreso as they have had the dual feed dog (beats the walking foot) for a very very long time.

I would suggest a lockstitch variety over a chain stitch. Chain stitch is designed by its very nature to unravel quickly. It's the stitch type used on your livestock feed bags. However, if you use that type, when you go to put your grommets in, make sure they are in such a position as to help stop the chain stitch from fully unraveling.

phototec

Can anyone guide me in the right direction as far as sewing banners.
What is best machine for doing small runs.
Thank you.
Amber

Amber, everyone has given good advice, I was in your shoes last year asking the same questions here and on other sites. In the end I learned a walking foot industrial sewing machine is what is needed (and used by MOST sign shops), for hemming banners. So I searched ebay and Craigslist's for months looking for a good deal. I found some good deals on eaby, but the shipping was always the negative issue. I ended up finding a good deal on Craigslist's that was within 100 miles so I went and picked it up, and I have been sewing banners like a pro, because the machine is so good.