• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Barcode, Schmarcode!

JamesLam

I was under the impression that when I print the barcode with my image that the Summa cutter knows the orientation. If that's the case why would it not recognize top and bottom and cut accordingly? Fortunately it was just a small output but still a waste of time and materials.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, I have a brand new Summa (S 2 Class T), we are still getting to know each other. I've never used the bar codes before, but today on one of our first "real" jobs on this new plotter... I had it read the bar code and it just took off cutting. I didn't have to walk back to my computer and hit cut through cut server. I was surprised. Sorry OP, I am too new with this machine to offer any help - but it is cutting the correct orientation. What are you using to send the cut file to the plotter?

JamesLam

So, I have a brand new Summa (S 2 Class T), we are still getting to know each other. I've never used the bar codes before, but today on one of our first "real" jobs on this new plotter... I had it read the bar code and it just took off cutting. I didn't have to walk back to my computer and hit cut through cut server. I was surprised. Sorry OP, I am too new with this machine to offer any help - but it is cutting the correct orientation. What are you using to send the cut file to the plotter?
Flexi 19 and PM.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
How did you start the cutting of the job..?
It sounds like you are still using the manual way and not the barcode.

FrankW

OPOS Barcode will have different barcodes for each orientation, and different cutting files. It is nearly impossible that the files are cut in wrong direction. It is shurely not a software bug, Flexi 19 have worked fine.

JamesLam

How did you start the cutting of the job..?
It sounds like you are still using the manual way and not the barcode.
When sent to Rip & Print, the interface window pops up and I select OPOS Barcode and I select barcodes at the top and bottom. Is it possible the barcodes are identical? I thought they were different so when the scanner read them it could tell top from bottom?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
When sent to Rip & Print, the interface window pops up and I select OPOS Barcode and I select barcodes at the top and bottom. Is it possible the barcodes are identical? I thought they were different so when the scanner read them it could tell top from bottom?
No it's not identical.
But how do you start the cutting process? Do you select bardcode in the cutter and let the cutter read the barcode?

Goatshaver

I use ONYX and barcodes daily. It doesn't matter which way it goes in when doing barcodes. I've put them in from both sides and it's cut fine both ways.

JamesLam

No it's not identical.
But how do you start the cutting process? Do you select barcode in the cutter and let the cutter read the barcode?
In PM I select the file and send the cut file to the cutter. Not sure why the barcode would be ignored or mis-read.

JamesLam

I use ONYX and barcodes daily. It doesn't matter which way it goes in when doing barcodes. I've put them in from both sides and it's cut fine both ways.
With Flexi and PM I have done that almost every time, but occassionally it still cuts upside down. Thinking that it was my error I am pretty diligent in making sure that I have processed the barcode.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
In PM I select the file and send the cut file to the cutter. Not sure why the barcode would be ignored or mis-read.
That's the wrong way. Its not using the barcode when you do that. The idea of the barcode is that it's automatic, now you are doing the barcodes job...

Select barcode on the cutter and let it read the barcode. Don't send the job from PM.

JamesLam

That's the wrong way. Its not using the barcode when you do that. The idea of the barcode is that it's automatic, now you are doing the barcodes job...

Select barcode on the cutter and let it read the barcode. Don't send the job from PM.
The link to the cut file is just in the hold field along with the link(s) to the print files. Other than hitting 'send' once I've loaded the media into the cutter I've not manipulated anything else. The Summa D160R dosn't offer anything from the screen other than knive pressure and aligning the cutter head when loading the media. Am I missing something?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
More in the manual.

barcod3.jpg

JamesLam

I would also like to add that I appreciate that I found this site and the forums and the willingness of everyone to share their knowledge and insights. I would also like to give a shout-out to the supplier of my equipment and the training offered by both them and SAI to be about as useless as, well this is a family channel so I won't go there. On that note, is it just me or am I being unreasonable that by paying for a monthly subscription to SAI that there would be some fairly solid basic training offered instead of being led to their company owned pay-by-the-minute training portal? I guess I'm of the mindset that if you make it inconvenient I'll use something else.

Goatshaver

The link to the cut file is just in the hold field along with the link(s) to the print files. Other than hitting 'send' once I've loaded the media into the cutter I've not manipulated anything else. The Summa D160R dosn't offer anything from the screen other than knive pressure and aligning the cutter head when loading the media. Am I missing something?
I know I'm not using Flexi but it shouldn't be too much in the way of initiating the cuts. I send my barcodes over to a folder that's linked to the Summa Cutter control. Start the server and on my machine I initiate it. (I hit the test button from the main screen and it initiates the cutter to place the sensor) The cutter should be set to OPOS barcode. I'm not sure if Flexi handles things the same way or not.

JamesLam

OK, so currently I am providing the file and barcode via PM and it asks the user to set the tool above the first mark, and I'm not supposed to do that. I'm supposed to use the Summa Cutter Control and set the tool under the barcode when prompted. I guess I had better haul out the manual for some light reading.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
OK, so currently I am providing the file and barcode via PM and it asks the user to set the tool above the first mark, and I'm not supposed to do that. I'm supposed to use the Summa Cutter Control and set the tool under the barcode when prompted. I guess I had better haul out the manual for some light reading.
PM should have built in barcode server if I remember correctly so I would use this.

1634275123353.png

1634275572318.png

Last edited:

MachServTech

Flexi does have an internal barcode server as well. I would recommend creating a parallel workflow using Summa Cutter Control to compare and troubleshoot. If it cut at 90 degrees then that's probably an operator error of some kind.

JamesLam

Flexi does have an internal barcode server as well. I would recommend creating a parallel workflow using Summa Cutter Control to compare and troubleshoot. If it cut at 90 degrees then that's probably an operator error of some kind.
That could certainly help pin point the issue. Just to clarify the cutting was 180 degrees out of whack, top to bottom.