• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bare Drives... the new floppy

jiarby

Here is my ghetto eSATA.... 15yrs ago we'd dremel a hole in the chassis to hang a SCSI connector and a power connector out the front to attach drives externally! Now they have made it plastic and pretty.... but sloowww.

Attachments

• DSCN5303.jpg
    DSCN5303.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 58

Alphonse43

Jiarby, I'm with you on exactly what you say, I've had 3 or 4 drives go down in external drive cases through overheating. To overcome that problem, I've been using a "Ritmo" USB 2.0 to Sata/IDE Cable similar to yours and found that to be OK. I am not a Western Digital fan at all, over the years, I've have nothing but trouble with WD drives, and have never trusted them since. This was a Christmas present, so I've given it a try, and so far I'm very impressed. I still back everything up on separate hard drive with ether the Ritmo cable or the docking station, and store the drives in a cupboard. It's been very hot here in Melbourne this week, yesterday it was 43.4 Degrees Celsius = 110.12 Fahrenheit, today the same, tomorrow it's expected to be 45.0 Degrees Celsius = 113.0 Fahrenheit. It will be like that until Saturday. So I'll really be testing the drive under very hot conditions, (No aircon in here). I'll run it for a least 8 hours a day and see how it goes. You're right about external cases, but I think this one could be different. I'll never trust it without other backup, it's just so handy to be able to carry it about.
Alphonse43