• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Before buying a graphtec plotter

westsign1

They were the best plotter made by far, now the help, tech support is not good. If in the middle of a job and something goes wrong they do not answer there phone. You go to their web site and usually about a week or so you may get a call back. Basically you are on your own one you purchase anything from graphtec. it is NOT like it was years ago. Still a good machine but you are on your own.

cmoist

I'd suggest buying from a place that will service and support them. If you buy from a distributor who just pushes sales and doesn't support, you'll get little in terms of support. It never hurts to go to ISA or a similar show and introduce yourself to some of the employees there/have a conversation. You can walk away with a business card that will go a long ways.

unclebun

On the other hand, I've been doing signs for over 30 years now, and have always used Graphtec plotters. I can recall one occasion where we had one that was wearing down and we sent it back for a refurbishing, and that is all I have ever had to have done among the 3 Graphtec plotters I have used (two at my previous job, one at my current shop).

signheremd

We have a 20 year old 30" Graphtec that is ugly, basic, but so reliable (it outlived the Roland plotter that replaced it) and can still cut small text like a pro, that we bought a 60" Graphtec a few years ago when we added a wider format plotter. I don't think the issue is the plotter brand so much as that finding quality service is getting rare. I have seen Summas in action and talked to servicemen in our area and Graphtec have less issues (and cost less). But this can be a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota... if you are buying a truck, they all have advantages and all are engineered to last (heavy duty bearings, lower rpm cams and tunes, etc...) as long as you service them.

PatWhatley

I have never been able to get Graphtec support on the phone. Summa on the other hand seems like tech people are bored and sitting there begging the phone to ring. Summa techs have always been quick and easy to deal with.