• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Benefits of white ink using a Roland BN20?

Davesign21

I’m trying to find uses for white ink before I buy a cartridge. I’m wondering if there’s a way to print on clear media in reverse using white ink in the background and be able to heat transfer it to a dark garment. Or can print and use a transfer sheet to lift the image, then heat transfer to the garment. I’m trying to avoid complicated weeding and contour cutting. Similar to a white self weeding laser printer. I know I’ve meshed a few different ideas and techniques. Imagine trying to put an image of a galaxy onto a black garment and have the black of the garment show thru as the galaxy background. And not have a large square of vinyl that will feel terrible. Thanks in advance!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
White on a BN20 (or most solvents) isn't very opaque. You'd need to strike it several times, and since the BN20 is already glacially slow, it would be quite a painful task.
Maintenance when setup for white is also extremely frequent... daily from memory. It clogs the heads very quickly and needs a lot of work to keep clear.

binki

Are you set up for white? We did it with a Versacamm but a few years ago we replaced the white carts with cleaning solution because the white is expensive and we were no longer printing with white. The clear decals look just as good without it. Aside from that, with the Versacamm, you need to be set up from the beginning with white otherwise you are locked in. I suppose it is the same with the BN20.