• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best 3/16" substrate for flatbed UV and guillotine cutter?

EmilyAlice3

High-brow and I rock a little know-how.
I'm trying to replicate a customer's current piece of POP signage. I'm guessing its a solvent based print mounted on 3/16" foam board. The customer is open to production modifications. My first job will be around 175 signs 23" x 13".

I have:
Roland SG2-300
Fuji Acuity Select 26 (OCE Arizona) UV flatbed
industrial wide format guillotine cutter
benchtop Keen Evolution 2
my hand + Xacto knife (ha!)

I can't use foam board & cut with guillotine cutter because the foam board would get crushed.

I have access to pallets of .15 coroplast, but I'm not excited about the ridges when I print on it.

Ideally, I'd like to find an economical lightweight 3/16" substrate to print on the flatbed Fuji - that won't crush under the pressure of the guillotine cutter. Does that even exist? (I normally flatbed print on various thickness of polystyrene, polyethylene, & aluminum.)

Thank you for all your continued wisdom and knowledge. This forum is a fantastic resource.

ChicagoGraphics

When cutting with your guillotine cutter just place a 2x4 or a piece of plywood on top of your material it won't crush it, use to use a Seabold to cut all my substrates

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
When cutting with your guillotine cutter just place a 2x4 or a piece of plywood on top of your material it won't crush it, use to use a Seabold to cut all my substrates
You always have to keep up with fixturing, blocks and all the tricks to get the job done.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
The other option is Ultraboard DP...its paper faced with a rigid core. Not sure how the guillotine will or won't crush the board....but its lightweight and very nice to print on. Nicer than the converd IMO as its a solid core vs fluted or honeycomb. More expensive than standard foam though.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
The other option is Ultraboard DP...its paper faced with a rigid core. Not sure how the guillotine will or won't crush the board....but its lightweight and very nice to print on. Nicer than the converd IMO as its a solid core vs fluted or honeycomb. More expensive than standard foam though.
Does the "sandy" core guillotine cleanly?