• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best anti virus program - latest and greatest?

netsol

I love hijackthis.
I still use it with windows 10. We get dismal performance from windows 10, since every software developer tries to preload every requirement for their programs, on the theory that they will load more quickly. The result is NOTHING can run quickly.

We run hijackthis on a weekly basis removing most startup objects. Breathing new life into the older pc's until they are replaced. We are working on a script to run hijackthis as a scheduled task RIGHT AFTER windows updates, restoring performance

Retro Graphics

I've built 100s of computers since 1999, and never would have thought I'd be running free AV programs!
But in fact, all I use now is Windows Defender and MalwareBytes AntiMalware. (or Avast AV on my Win7 machine)

I used to use ESET, and thought it was very good, but I can't afford that luxury anymore. Like it was mentioned, the best practice is to stay way from weird sites, don't open weird emails and don't fall for "Security" pop-ups. Let's also not forget those strange phone calls claiming you're in trouble with the Tax Man or your Google listings.
why are you using WIndows 7 though? that is also a security issue as it is no longer supported. as someone who built computers, I know you must be well aware of this. Assuming it must be a VM or for something antiquated.

As someone who is comfortable working around computers, I also used free software like AVG free and stuff for years. But let's face it, very few people are really as adept at operating computers safely as we would like. Sometimes you don't need to click anything. I actually picked up a virus on my macbook from a hotel wifi about 3 years ago. It was SentinelOne (as it was a work macbook) that caught the virus and alerted me to it. And that was on a macbook, you know "the computers that don't get viruses" supposedly sayeth the apple masses.

ABSOLUTELY: Invest in an AV. Would you buy a luxury car and not have insurance to cover it if it were wrecked or stolen? why would you leave all your computer stuff at risk unprotected? AV isn't ever perfect, but it's an extra layer of security. CyberSecurity is like an onion, there are many layers, AV is just one of those, but an important one none the less. Sorry, the CyberSecurity guy in me coming out.

netsol

IT'S not as simple as stay away from weird sites. you end up getting emails from domains that are a hard to notice mispelling of a site you get emails from all the time
walkinboxes.com doesn't look much different than wallkingboxes.com

there have been so many data breaches, (a week hardly goes by that i don't get the phony "renew your coverage with dell" emails) unless you are a recluse a partial of your data
has already been stolen

ThatGuy

We used Kaspersky for years with no problems. We switched to Bitdefender 2 years ago and have no problems with it either.
I have had employees go to some pretty shady websites to download fonts and such but Kaspersky and Bitdefender have always kept us safe.
The software is only as good as the person operating the computer. Bypass or ignore warnings from security software and there will be problems.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If employees are clicking crap and looking at stuff they shouldn't, installing some sort of net nanny program is also not a bad idea.

netsol

the problem with malwarebytes is the free version works so well, no one is EVER going to buy it

it's also amazing, for those of us who have been in this practically since the beginning, HOW MANY YEARS malware bytes has been effective

going back to 2004 there was superantispyware, and a few others whose names i forget

they all would have a brief period where they were the go to , and then they were gone...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
the problem with malwarebytes is the free version works so well, no one is EVER going to buy it

it's also amazing, for those of us who have been in this practically since the beginning, HOW MANY YEARS malware bytes has been effective

going back to 2004 there was superantispyware, and a few others whose names i forget

they all would have a brief period where they were the go to , and then they were gone...

Yes! I forgot about that one

vondegroot

why are you using WIndows 7 though? that is also a security issue as it is no longer supported. as someone who built computers, I know you must be well aware of this. Assuming it must be a VM or for something antiquated.

As someone who is comfortable working around computers, I also used free software like AVG free and stuff for years. But let's face it, very few people are really as adept at operating computers safely as we would like. Sometimes you don't need to click anything. I actually picked up a virus on my macbook from a hotel wifi about 3 years ago. It was SentinelOne (as it was a work macbook) that caught the virus and alerted me to it. And that was on a macbook, you know "the computers that don't get viruses" supposedly sayeth the apple masses.

ABSOLUTELY: Invest in an AV. Would you buy a luxury car and not have insurance to cover it if it were wrecked or stolen? why would you leave all your computer stuff at risk unprotected? AV isn't ever perfect, but it's an extra layer of security. CyberSecurity is like an onion, there are many layers, AV is just one of those, but an important one none the less. Sorry, the CyberSecurity guy in me coming out.
Hahahaha, yeaaaaaah. My fileserver box is still on Win7. It's my torrenting box and file server. On the list of things to deal with!