• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Dither Type For Printing Photos?

johntech

I'm printing photos on acrylic at 720x1440 with a UV printer that has Epson DX8 printheads.

Does anyone have any Dither Type recommendations for getting the best photo printing results? Also any suggestions for settings on handling gradients in photos?

Thanks!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I'm printing photos on acrylic at 720x1440 with a UV printer that has Epson DX8 printheads.

Does anyone have any Dither Type recommendations for getting the best photo printing results? Also any suggestions for settings on handling gradients in photos?

Thanks!

Are you intending to print signs or decorative art?

chinaski

I've never noticed a difference in output whether I used Stochastic or Adaptive Error Diffusion, so I just stick with Adaptive Error Diffusion (Using Caldera).

I generally get better results switching rendering intent from Relative Colorimetric to Perceptual when gradients aren't printing well. Quality is more related to profiling/print mode/passes/inks/etc than dithering type.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-07 09.27.14.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-07 09.27.14.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 152

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Print bitmaps with a rendering intent of 'Perceptual', print everything else with 'No Color Correction'. Pick the highest dither algorithm your software supports. The better the dither, the better the output.