• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Drawing Tablet iPad Air vs Surface Pro vs Wacom Intuos Pro SE?

0igo

Been looking into getting a drawing tablet to help me for my graphic design and I am a little stuck on deciding on what tablet to get. Do any of you use tablets and if so what has helped you?

Master's Touch

Believe it or not, I GAVE UP my CINTIQ 22" in favor of a much less expensive and portable SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE PRO 12.2. It comes with an included stylus, is pressure sensitive and using the SKETCHPAD app you can make hi res PSD, TIFF or JPG files. I LOVE IT. I can draw as naturally on this electronic device as paper....something that I could not do with the big heavy clunky cintiq.

WildWestDesigns

Believe it or not, I GAVE UP my CINTIQ 22" in favor of a much less expensive and portable SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE PRO 12.2. It comes with an included stylus, is pressure sensitive and using the SKETCHPAD app you can make hi res PSD, TIFF or JPG files. I LOVE IT. I can draw as naturally on this electronic device as paper....something that I could not do with the big heavy clunky cintiq.

For portability, I went with the Cintiq Companion.

Portable, runs a full OS and powerful enough to run the full Adobe CS6 Suite, plus Wilcom.

player

I just bought a 9" x 12" Intuos Pro 2 tablet on eBay for $39. It did not come with any pens, but I still have some. I don't think there will be much difference between the new ones and the old ones.

WildWestDesigns

I just bought a 9" x 12" Intuos Pro 2 tablet on eBay for $39. It did not come with any pens, but I still have some. I don't think there will be much difference between the new ones and the old ones.

I think the biggest differences is wireless. I know my Intuos 3 isn't and the others out at that time. That was actually the tablet that started my downward spiral. Still have it and use it on occasion. I can use the same pens on it as the ones that work on my 12WX. My 22, 27 and Companion use different pens (black vs gray that the Intuos and 12WX of mine use).

I don't think pressure sensitivity has changed for that line over the years, but I couldn't easily find the specs on the older models to compare. Biggest thing I think is the wireless ability.

WildWestDesigns

^ Perhaps the software that comes with it is better, but with PS, Painter etc. that won't matter.

That could be. They would for sure (or at least I would think) be more current versions of said software.

I think my mom had tinkered with them a time or two and she didn't have anything negative to say about them. I'm pretty sure though, as a heavy Ps Extended and Elements user (yep, she also uses Elements, she says some things are just easier to get to in Elements), I'm sure she realizes that they are lighter programs and approaches them as such.

moc_os

I think it depends on how you like to work. On a desktop i prefer intuos. I got acustomed to not having my hand blocking what im drawing.

But on my laptop on the sofa i orefer the ipad pro. The absence of parallax effect makes a huge difference and the ipad screen is really nice. The apple pencil is also better than wacom styluses in that the tips aren't wobbly. The wobbly tips on upset me so much and make it difficult to use in cad programs. Like selecting anchors in illustrator can be a chore.

WildWestDesigns

The apple pencil is also better than wacom styluses in that the tips aren't wobbly. The wobbly tips on upset me so much and make it difficult to use in cad programs. Like selecting anchors in illustrator can be a chore.

If you have a wobbly tip, something isn't right. Either it's not seated in the stylus good enough or something isn't holding it in.

moc_os

If you have a wobbly tip, something isn't right. Either it's not seated in the stylus good enough or something isn't holding it in.

Ive been using wacoms for over a decade. Im on my 7th and 8th stylus and they all feel the same. every single one i tried at the apple store when they had them in display and every one i used from school over the years feel the same. The nib has to be able to sink and pop out of the hole in order to work. The sinking aspect causes the most inaccuracies.

and even if i had a really bad streak of bad luck with their hardware. Thats a lot of bad styluses from one company dont you think? And have you tried their costumer support? It isnt very good. I still have my intuos2 they never fixed or replaced that makes wavy lines and the mouse that double clicks which they told me it was just dirty.

WildWestDesigns

Ive been using wacoms for over a decade. Im on my 7th and 8th stylus and they all feel the same. every single one i tried at the apple store when they had them in display and every one i used from school over the years feel the same. The nib has to be able to sink and pop out of the hole in order to work. The sinking aspect causes the most inaccuracies.

I checked mine, all 5 of my grip pens (I assume you are talking about the grip pens, I didn't check my other pens). They are all the original grip pens that came with my devices (Companion, 12, 22, 27, and Intuos 3) and non pop in and out. Unless the popping in and out is so slight (to me) that it's not registering in my mind. Which is possible.

I've never had accuracy issues in Ai, Wilcom or Blender. Nor in Ps, but I hardly use that program, those other 3, I spend the most time in. I'm always selecting and modifying anchor points in Ai and Wilcom. If that was inaccurate, I would be more then irritated.

moc_os

I guess its just me then. Me explanation of how the tip is supposed to work is what they told me when i complained. I still recommend wacom for a most cases.

visual800

I decided last year to try this tablet thing out and bought a used intuos 2 6x8 off ebay used. It was very cool but after a few months of playing with it I lost interest and put it back on ebay, I really didnt see where I needed it. maybe Im too use to the mouse, nonetheless I see no sense in sinking hundreds of bucks into something you can get used that works just as well

WildWestDesigns

I decided last year to try this tablet thing out and bought a used intuos 2 6x8 off ebay used. It was very cool but after a few months of playing with it I lost interest and put it back on ebay, I really didnt see where I needed it. maybe Im too use to the mouse,

[/quote]

I've known a few that are like that. I think with the Intuos there is still the "disconnect" of having to look elsewhere from where you are drawing. At least that's what I had with my Intuos, but the Cintiq is much much more natural. When I create my stock designs, I always sketch them originally. Being able to do that digitally first and with the same type of feel as doing it traditionally, I like that alot. And of course when I have to replicate for embroidery an already existing design, it's far easier. But always go with what you are used to.

nonetheless I see no sense in sinking hundreds of bucks into something you can get used that works just as well

That would be the way to go, but I've never had much luck with getting used. It always seems to bite me when I try to go used, but I'm sure a lot of it has to do with me. I just don't have luck with it.