• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Intermediate Printable Vinyl?

kroger

I am used to printing on gloss Orajet 3651 for an intermediate vinyl. I have a lot of prints to do ASAP and was sent matte instead of gloss which they are out of stock. Should I use it or order a different brand? If so what is best? Matte vs gloss? I have gloss 210 laminate. Thanks in advance.

karst41

I am used to printing on gloss Orajet 3651 for an intermediate vinyl. I have a lot of prints to do ASAP and was sent matte instead of gloss which they are out of stock. Should I use it or order a different brand? If so what is best? Matte vs gloss? I have gloss 210 laminate. Thanks in advance.

3M IJ35 C-10 54"x 50 yards.. You MUST get the Comply Version "C" $228 a roll. IJ35 is the series C is for Comply Air Release and 10 is for Gloss

I love printing on this and it is great for fleet markings, and temporary applications in that anybody can install it and it removes with little to no heat and any adhesive cleans up easily.

If you use the 3m High Performance over lams you gan get a 7year life. out of it
I like the 8519 Luster lam with the IJ35 for leased vehicles.

For short term signs I like using the 8509 Luster lam which is intermediate and cost around $240 a roll.

Important to know when printing the corners of the material will slightly Bow Up
and can cause a issue when it fees out. With the HP Latex 500 series it must clear the printer. I do not have this problem with the IJ 180 cv3. but the 180 is $750 a roll.

Try the IJ35C-10 at $228 a roll you really cant miss. The BriteLine from Grimco is a good choice too. Look at 3ms liner and then look at the Briteline liner.
Briteline is cheaper.

I do not work for 3m, or Grimco and have been making decals since 1981.
Yeah I am nearing retirement.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
3M IJ35 C-10 54"x 50 yards.. You MUST get the Comply Version "C" $228 a roll. IJ35 is the series C is for Comply Air Release and 10 is for Gloss

I love printing on this and it is great for fleet markings, and temporary applications in that anybody can install it and it removes with little to no heat and any adhesive cleans up easily.

If you use the 3m High Performance over lams you gan get a 7year life. out of it

For short term signs I like using the 8509 Luster lam which is intermediate and cost around $240 a roll.

Important to know when printing the corners of the material will slightly Bow Up
and can cause a issue when it fees out. With the HP Latex 500 series it must clear the printer. I do not have this problem with the IJ 180 cv3. but the 180 is $750 a roll.

Try the IJ35C-10 at $228 a roll you really cant miss. The BriteLine from Grimco is a good choice too. Look at 3ms liner and then look at the Briteline liner.
Briteline is cheaper.

IJ35 shouldnt be used on vehicles. Its rated 5yr max and not a removable adhesive. It’s also made in China.

ikarasu

Briteline is cheaper.

You use 8519 on IJ35?! Why not 8509? Match calandered with calandered... Using 8519 wont get you anymore longevity out of IJ35.

And as mentioned... Ij35 shouldnt be used on vehicles. Switch to Ij40 / 8509 for your intermediate vinyl... Ij35 shouldnt be used on anything other than very short term signs

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I love the IJ-35C, that stuff is great when laminated. I don't really do vehicles and didn't know not to use it on there so that's good to know.

bannertime

To answer the question in the post:
We only use Matte self adhesive and let the laminate determine finish type. So, just use the matte stuff you got.

To answer the question in the title.
I'm not a huge fan of IJ35c, it smells, it's actually expensive for what it is, it shrinks like a 1/4in, it's not removable. We have to use it for a particular customer, cause "3M is the best." Otherwise, I don't use it.

Our "Intermediate" is Arlon 4600lx, which is similar to ij40c/3551ra/2105 EZ RS. We've been testing Briteline IM330, and it's pretty nice, but prefer the Arlon. I really like IJ40c, but we had issues with the smell/fumes on it too. Had to scrap a whole job during installation and reprint overnight on a different material. That's when we switched to Arlon. I haven't tried the Orafol, but the Avery 2105 is pretty nice. The matching DOL laminate is cool.

For toss away stuff we spec an Economy vinyl. Something like Arlon 510, IJ35, Briteline 2201. For decals we pretty much only use the laminated 4600lx/IM330 or non laminated Briteline IM3222.

kroger

Thanks for all the input. I’ve always wanted to try the matte so I did. I actually think it prints nicer than the gloss.

karst41

You use 8519 on IJ35?! Why not 8509? Match calandered with calandered... Using 8519 wont get you anymore longevity out of IJ35.

And as mentioned... Ij35 shouldnt be used on vehicles. Switch to Ij40 / 8509 for your intermediate vinyl... Ij35 shouldnt be used on anything other than very short term signs

It depends on the application.
The "rule" is to use High grade Lams on the intermediate to increase longevity. and you never use intermediate laminate on Hi Pro vinyls.

For Interior Industrial mounted prints or various signs I definitely love the 8509 in top of the IJ35C.

I am testing the 35c with 8509 on rear roll up doors on a handful of trucks that are under a 5 year lease, but the rest of the fleet I have the 8519.

Several years ago we wrapped a 26' Truck with the 35c / 8519
after 5 years it had minimal shrinkage and almost no peeling
But I wont wrap the sides with that again.

What you always need to keep in mind for your customers, is that graphics on vehicles will ultimately need to be removed. and the 3m materials have no equal when it comes removals.
That is where the customer saves money .

I have over 30 years experience removing fleet graphics, and the removals
is where the rubber meets the road.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It depends on the application.
The "rule" is to use High grade Lams on the intermediate to increase longevity. and you never use intermediate laminate on Hi Pro vinyls.

For Interior Industrial mounted prints or various signs I definitely love the 8509 in top of the IJ35C.

I am testing the 35c with 8509 on rear roll up doors on a handful of trucks that are under a 5 year lease, but the rest of the fleet I have the 8519.

Several years ago we wrapped a 26' Truck with the 35c / 8519
after 5 years it had minimal shrinkage and almost no peeling
But I wont wrap the sides with that again.

What you always need to keep in mind for your customers, is that graphics on vehicles will ultimately need to be removed. and the 3m materials have no equal when it comes removals.
That is where the customer saves money .

I have over 30 years experience removing fleet graphics, and the removals
is where the rubber meets the road.
Using ij35 on a wrap is stupid. So is using it on a lease truck where it has to be removed in 5 years. After 30 years you should be able to give better advice than that.

Reveal1

We used 35c for about 8 yrs running as our go to base for short-medium graphics. About 18 mos ago they started shipping product labeled 'Brazil'. We just noticed different white point, different adhesive look and some print issues and then realized it was made in Brazil. So moved to Briteline Duration X (which I believe is actually a GF product) with great results. Just noticed on Grimco site that 3M is advertising 'improved' 35c. Anyone know what that's about? Maybe the China product referenced by Notareal?

Agree, we would never use 35c (or any permanant adhesive calandered for that matter) on wraps.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've used many of these recommendations, still do on occasion. But lately have been using Avery 2903 almost exclusively for all intermediate. And it's good for short term vehicle graphics (<5 years). And Cheaper than most others.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We used 35c for about 8 yrs running as our go to base for short-medium graphics. About 18 mos ago they started shipping product labeled 'Brazil'. We just noticed different white point, different adhesive look and some print issues and then realized it was made in Brazil. So moved to Briteline Duration X (which I believe is actually a GF product) with great results. Just noticed on Grimco site that 3M is advertising 'improved' 35c. Anyone know what that's about? Maybe the China product referenced by Notareal?

Agree, we would never use 35c (or any permanant adhesive calandered for that matter) on wraps.
Used to use the Briteline 3203X but it sucks on vehicles, which I discovered after having to remove some graphics just a month after. That glue is hard to get off, and I think they actually state not recommended for vehicles now.

Reveal1

Used to use the Briteline 3203X but it sucks on vehicles, which I discovered after having to remove some graphics just a month after. That glue is hard to get off, and I think they actually state not recommended for vehicles now.
40C for any short/mid term vehicle partial without rivet or compound curves. In fact 40c good for so many things - wall, floor etc also, print/cut. Hope 3M doesn't screw it up like they did 35c. Personally, only use cast for full wrap.

ikarasu

Ij35 is a perm vinyl. So I wouldn't use it when you want ease of removal. Ij4 isn't much more.

Vinyl is like the lowest cost when it comes to a wrap. Ij40 is like 15% more than 35.... You save that on the removal alone.

8519 is twice the price of a roll of ij35. I feel like it's a waste of money to use it.... I can't see it having any benefit over 8048 or 8509. We use 8048 with ij40 and we haven't seen any shrinkage... Granted I live in bc so it's not super sunny outside.

Ij35... We only use that for stickers and handouts. It's too expensive for cheap low term and too cheap of a material for anything needing to last.