• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Material for Commercially Used Agriculture Equipment (Tractors, Mowers, etc...)

shepherddesigns

Our business model has solely been in automobiles, but we may have an opportunity coming with a tractor manufacturer to sell custom and factory reproduction decals. For automotive decals, we've always used Orajet 3751/3951 with Oraguard 290. For the Ag side, we assumed we would need to go with something that would handle everyday abuse. Orafol's media and laminate product selection guide says that 3951HT will work with Oraguard 270 (Stoneguard). Anyone have experience working with 270? Plus/minuses?

Any other product selections? Convex GearWrap looks like good option for a base material. Their laminates don't however. Pro-Shield with a two year outdoor life? Anyone used Substance material in a similar fashion? I'm not a fan of calendered material, but if it works and lasts, that's more important.

Forgot to add, these will be applied to painted metal surfaces, so low energy plastics are not a concern.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We use 3755/3150 substance on machines. Most factory decals are garbage material and seriously doubt any of them used cast. Never saw any with a thick laminate except polycarb on control overlays.

BigNate

dude, just get a sample of the Substance - I think you will be very happy. I use it for stickers that can even stick on the anti-graffiti paint. But I have made stickers for my tractor.... Substance is supposed to stick to hard to stick to motorsports items, I would bet you will find it works great for ag equipment.

JBurton

Signtologist
Agreed on the substance, but call them first and get some input. Matt over there is very knowledgeable and helpful, the evening I spoke with him he was going to be there until 7!

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I'll third Substance. They've got excellent products and seem to be all around great folks to deal with. I just wish they made a satin/lustre laminate or I could convince my one hold-out client to switch from that to matte.

shepherddesigns

I just heard back from a rep with Orafol, the 270 Stoneguard will work with all of the 3951 line, not just 3951HT, so I'll probably stick with that. I feel more comfortable running a 10 year product + laminate.

I'll definitely reach out to Substance and get some samples. I'd like to see how it holds up when left outside for months.