• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best material for interior block wall raps/prints?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have been doing a lot of interior murals, wall wraps, graphics, etc on painted concrete block walls.
At first we tried using 3M 180c, but it popped back out of a lot of the seams.
After that we have been using 3M 8624, but it is still popping back out of the seams.
We have been laminating with 8520 matte lam.

What do you use and recommend???

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Just as an FYI. We did some wall graphics with DPF8000 yesterday and they are coming off. I called their tech support and they said that it may not be compatible with certain paints. The gym wall we applied it to was painted. I have the same material from the same roll installed on a rough wall (painted) at our shop and it sticks perfectly.

Arlon recommends testing beforehand.
We are stumped and trying to figure out another option.

peavey123

Really?! What kind of paint is it not compatible with? Was this wall recently painted? Maybe it wasn't fully cured yetl? I've used Arlon DPF8000 for years and never had an issue.

HulkSmash

We have been doing a lot of interior murals, wall wraps, graphics, etc on painted concrete block walls.
At first we tried using 3M 180c, but it popped back out of a lot of the seams.
After that we have been using 3M 8624, but it is still popping back out of the seams.
We have been laminating with 8520 matte lam.

What do you use and recommend???

8624 works just fine. We prefer to use ij480..
If it's popping you're not prepping/installing correctly. Most of the time you're not using enough heat or the right tools.

good luck.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Really?! What kind of paint is it not compatible with? Was this wall recently painted? Maybe it wasn't fully cured yetl? I've used Arlon DPF8000 for years and never had an issue.

Evidently certain paints with primer built in and anti graffiti paints can cause an issue. I just went and inspected it and half of it has fallen off. I have never had an issue with PF8000 until this. The solution recommended is to clearcoat the area to be used with Krylon clear and redo after about a week.

CES020

Just a FYI, 3M has a wall test kit that's free, as far as I know. It comes with a scale, a bunch of test strips and the instructions on how to test the materials on various surfaces and various materials. It's basically strips with a loop in them of the materials, you stick it to the wall, hook the scale to it and pull on the scale and measure how fast it comes off the wall.

I ordered a sample roll of material from them a couple weeks ago and they called to follow up about it and asked me if I had the kit and offered to send me one. A couple days later, it showed up.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
As mentioned I use DPF8000 all the time and never had an issue but this is what happened within 24 hrs. These were printed on a JV33, out gassed 2 days before lam. Applied with a rollepro and heat just like always.

Attachments

• arlon 8000.JPG
    arlon 8000.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 79

HulkSmash

The wall was painted with a "LOW VOC" paint. You have to literally... literally SCRUB it with alch. like 5 times over and over. Even then you might have some failure. But it will help build adhesion.

I was at 3M last month and this is a big problem they're having with wall graphics. all these companies are adding things to paint so everything wipes off. That also means adhesion is killed with all vinyl.

You have to explain this to your customer before every wall graphic job.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I was told applying krylon clear over the applicable area and leaving it for a week before re-applying would work. We are going to test it.

knucklehead

They are putting teflon, and silicon in some paints to make them more stain resistant. Which also makes them resist everything else too. I've got a piece painted with the stain resistant paint, and a piece of phototex on it, been there for a couple months, doesn't show any sign of coming off.