• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best New Laptop For Print Shop

Marshallmax

Shopping around for a new laptop to use at the office and to take home when doing work from home. Would mainly be using it for Illustrator.

Illustrator needs fast CPU, look for anything with i7-10510U or i7-8565U, and at least 8 gigs of RAM. Video card doesn't affect Illustrator whatsoever so don't spend a fortune for a gaming laptop with high end video card.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I've been watching the notebook market closely for the past couple of years. My current notebook is getting pretty old, old enough that a number of components can't be replaced anymore (such as the battery). So many models, including Apple's Mac Book Pro line, have had thermal issues, making things like Core i9 CPUs a waste of money in those things. I've bought a lot of Dell systems over the years, but was completely turned off by the current Alienware M15 & M17 models, which only have FHD screens and max out at 16GB of RAM.

This week Dell released a new 15" XPS model that seems pretty good. It's available to order now on Dell's web site. It has a new body design, similar to the popular 13" XPS. But I'm more excited about the 17" XPS model that will be released sometime this summer. The XPS 17 will have a near bezel-less screen and a footprint similar in size to many 15" notebooks currently on the market. But the internal thermal design (a new vapor chamber system) is a step up from the new XPS 15 model. That's going to allow for better top end performance. Gotta wait for actual reviews to see if the Core i9 version will run well without getting too hot and throttling down the CPU like what happens on so many other high end systems. The new XPS 15 & 17 models use 10th-gen Core CPUs and support up to 64GB of RAM. The screens are 16:10 ratio, in either 1920x1200 resolution or 3840x2400 with touch and non-touch options available. The XPS 15 can be equipped with a Nvidia GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q video card. The XPS 17 will allow up to a RTX 2060. These are not designed as gaming machines, so they don't offer top of the line cards. But the machines will be significantly more portable and have much better battery life than a gaming style notebook.

The only annoying downside I see with the new XPS 15 & 17 models is some standard ports have disappeared. No USB type A ports, no Ethernet jack, no HDMI. Obviously it's all about slimming down the chassis design. The 15 model has 3 USB-C ports, a 3.5mm headphone jack and a full size SD card slot. The 17 model adds a 4th USB-C port. They support Thunderbolt 3. The AC adapter plugs into a USB-C port. The models include a USB-C expansion dongle in the box featuring a HDMI port and USB type A port.

Marshallmax

Thank
I've been watching the notebook market closely for the past couple of years. My current notebook is getting pretty old, old enough that a number of components can't be replaced anymore (such as the battery). So many models, including Apple's Mac Book Pro line, have had thermal issues, making things like Core i9 CPUs a waste of money in those things. I've bought a lot of Dell systems over the years, but was completely turned off by the current Alienware M15 & M17 models, which only have FHD screens and max out at 16GB of RAM.

This week Dell released a new 15" XPS model that seems pretty good. It's available to order now on Dell's web site. It has a new body design, similar to the popular 13" XPS. But I'm more excited about the 17" XPS model that will be released sometime this summer. The XPS 17 will have a near bezel-less screen and a footprint similar in size to many 15" notebooks currently on the market. But the internal thermal design (a new vapor chamber system) is a step up from the new XPS 15 model. That's going to allow for better top end performance. Gotta wait for actual reviews to see if the Core i9 version will run well without getting too hot and throttling down the CPU like what happens on so many other high end systems. The new XPS 15 & 17 models use 10th-gen Core CPUs and support up to 64GB of RAM. The screens are 16:10 ratio, in either 1920x1200 resolution or 3840x2400 with touch and non-touch options available. The XPS 15 can be equipped with a Nvidia GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q video card. The XPS 17 will allow up to a RTX 2060. These are not designed as gaming machines, so they don't offer top of the line cards. But the machines will be significantly more portable and have much better battery life than a gaming style notebook.

The only annoying downside I see with the new XPS 15 & 17 models is some standard ports have disappeared. No USB type A ports, no Ethernet jack, no HDMI. Obviously it's all about slimming down the chassis design. The 15 model has 3 USB-C ports, a 3.5mm headphone jack and a full size SD card slot. The 17 model adds a 4th USB-C port. They support Thunderbolt 3. The AC adapter plugs into a USB-C port. The models include a USB-C expansion dongle in the box featuring a HDMI port and USB type A port.

thanks for the info!