• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best plotter for contour cutting laminated graphics ?

xxtoni

When in doubt...go with Summa!

We have a VS-640 (that's a Roland) which has a build in cutter and it works alright but if I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with just a printer and a Summa.

GB

Thanks guys, great info.

We are leaning toward a Summa 30 " D series. I understand the T series has some additional features but at $6k it's a bit out of our price bracket.

LittleSnakey

If you use versaworks you will have to add your own contour cut registration marks because versaworks wont print the summa marks, only roland style.

Flexi will work with both but if you design in corel or adobie you will need the plug in to add the marks.

Thanks everyone !

I tried contacting Graphtec, left messages , sent e-mails etc and haven't heard anything in over a week. E-mailed Summa and within an hour a had a 'phone call from someone, talked me through the available options even mentioned that he would get a sample of the materials we use so they can play with it and work out our best option. I'd actually like to speak to someone at Graphtec !!

Someone mentioned the Graphtec having trouble finding the reg marks and I have heard this before.

I hadn't looked at the Rolands to be honest & yes we do use Versaworks.

MrSalumi

SUMMA for Sure. I know of a buddy selling an older D series if you are interested PM me and I'll shoot you his info.

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
Summa

We use a Summa S160T, you need this for the thick stuff. This is the ONLY cutter capable of handling this short of a Zund. I did my research!
If you order a Summa, have them put more hold down wheels...the max to help keep the media tracking. Also try to keep your lengths to a minimum to help keep the cuts true.

woolly

Just my experience with mx graphics Roland struggles as only 300 gms pressure you can play about with different knifes but never happy running a machine flat out.
Fc7000 cut it well after modifications to keep the media flat. The media would not track well if allowed to bend over the bed.
A graphtec flat bed came up at a very favorable price and have to say all the problems went away
We now cut once then round again to kiss cut the backing paper no hassle it just does it