• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best process for making wall decals?

TomBeanlands

Hi Guys, I am newbie and would really appreciate some guidance from the Godfathers of print and cut...

I'm setting up an online store selling wall decals for kids/nurseries etc in Australia. I have some expericene with the VP-540 but only really with printing banners. The decals i am looking to make are small to medium size and i am having some trouble choosing the right method of manufacture to go with. My research so far has led me to looking at both PhotoTex and MPI 2611 but i can see pro/cons with both
PhotoTex:
Perfect adhesion to wall/re-movability
More expensive
Harder to cut
Not friendly to app tape for complex designs like text (which i want to do lots of)

MPI 2611
Good price
Easy to work with
But...Curling issues
I have tried full bleed prints and also leaving a 1mm white border, on a standard painted wall it sticks fine, but some (like a partical board/chipboard) you can literally watch it curling up.
I would like to print and cut straight after drying for the sake of work flow efficiency. I'd would appreciate any feedback on what media to use and what process to use for the best results given its a small job/quick turn around product. Some basic questions I have are:
Is MPI 2611 the material most commonly used for this product and generally is the result good on the majority of household walls when used in this way? Is it ok the allow the de-gassing to take place after cutting? Does having the white board make any difference? -in my tests both worked on "good wall surfaces" and both didnt work on the chipboard...
Cheers
Tom

Mike_Koval

in my experiences with wall graphic materials and solvent printers i have found the best materials to be....

Seramark - Fabric wall graphic material (similar characteristics of Phototex)
Print/cut full bleed
excellent opacity
CPSIA compliant
100% phthalate free
repositionable

GMI 6mil wall graphic - vinyl wall graphic material
bleed required for cutting
easy to cut/weed
no curling (with bleed)
repositionable

Phototex is a nice material as well. I find the Seramark to have much better opacity and white point.