• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best R Tape Masking Tape

tomence

hey everyone
I want to know what everyone uses as far as masking tape goes from R Tape which one works the best for cut vinyl

ZsVinylInc

hey everyone
I want to know what everyone uses as far as masking tape goes from R Tape which one works the best for cut vinyl

Tomence this is kind of a loaded question IMO. You asked what is the best for cut vinyl.....well you need to provide us with a little more information before we can suggest anything.

What type of vinyl are you using?
What are you looking to apply it to?
Are you doing multiple layer cut vinyl and want a clear mask so you can see to line up better?

To many variables to determine what would be best and I think a lot of 101ers would agree with me.

tomence

ok i am sorry i am not been clear
i am using oracal 651 all the time and i do lot of fleet signs so they are meant to go on semi trucks, vans, pick ups so mostly metal surfaces
i mean i have been working a long time just havent experienced different r tape masking tape and i think r tape so far is the best but they have so many choices i dont want to go and buy every single r tape that is out there
for now i am using clear choice but somehow i dont know it gets on my nerves when i pull it it makes loud noise i dont know if you know what i mean.
so i wanted to see what other ppl are using
thanks

Mosh

651 on fleet stuff? You know that is an indermidiate vinyl right? Do your customers know what they are getting?

We only use transfer-rite tape, I think it is the best tape out there. We have tryed about every brand and keep coming back to it.

tomence

Mosh you get what you pay for right
If you pay more you get 751 otherwise is 651 but the thing is why do you think i shouldnt use 651
i have customers that have the same signs for over 4 years so still on the truck without any color fading

tomence

also i have seen a lot worse vinyl used from my competition that charges more than what i do so i think i am good

Mosh

Go right on selling calendered film for vehicles, if that floats your boat. Nothing wrong with living in a trailer-house either, but our shop's standards are above that.

tomence

as long as i make good living out of it i dont care about anybody's standards. Like i said you get what you pay for and all my customers are happy with my work and product and thats all it matters.

Mosh

dont care about anybody's standards.

You must do some AWESOME work! That stuff shrinks up at least 5%.
Good luck! Nice dirt line around letters that shrink up. But you don't care.

tomence

i havent seen any trouble so far with any of my work, no complaints.
i would rather use 651 than ShineRite which one of Sign O Rama shops is using right down the street. I have few customers that used to buy their signs from them and i've seen they used shinerite and chrage triple of what i charge.

Mosh

Your right. $0.80 per foot is alot of money to go to an 8 year film. My bad. Glad you are looking out for you customers!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i havent seen any trouble so far with any of my work, no complaints.
i would rather use 651 than ShineRite which one of Sign O Rama shops is using right down the street. I have few customers that used to buy their signs from them and i've seen they used shinerite and chrage triple of what i charge.

That is not an excuse to use sub-standard materials. You would benefit tremendously by shifting to 751 for vehicles at a fairly minor cost difference per vehicle. It would also give you a decided advantage over your competitors.

Your customers more often than not will not complain to you when the 651 shrinks ... they will just take it as a reflection on you the next time they need work done. Ask any former Avery user who went through the shrinkage fiasco a few years ago. Most clients never complained and many just went elsewhere for their next job.

tomence

Now you got me thinking i dont care about the price the thing was i thought 651 was ok to use. Maybe i am gonna switch just to try it out first and see how it goes. I can always charge more for a set of signs to justify the price difference.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
ok now my question is what is best masking tape to use for oracal 751

4076RLA is the recommended tape for either series. Oracal uses a liner with a higher grab to the adhesive than most other vinyls. That makes it easier to weed but more difficult to remove the liner. It always requires a high tack transfer tape and extra care when pulling the liner off.

In case you are not aware, the best way to pull liner is with the liner on top rather than trying to lift the transfer tape. It has to do with the angle of attack.

tomence

yeah i know how to pull the linear and also i teach my cutomers how to apply their signs the correct way i just wasnt aware that 751 will make that much of a difference.

striper14

nothing wrong with 5yr polymer calendered. Oracal 651, Avery 700 (european ??) mactac, 3m series 50 etc. Easier to use, cheaper , minimal shrinkage ( haven't seen 5% since polymers - sub tropical climate here tho -) Some colors fade or darken but they should be getting new vehicles & signs in 5 years anyway, i reckon

tomence

you are right i mean this companies work with owner operators so they come and go every month this signs sometimes dont stay on a vehicle not even a week. That is why people are looking for cheaper signs andn dont care about material any more coz of the economy
See the thing is i have customers ordering 50 sets a the time and they try to get the lowest possible price and the highest. They dont use these signs guys that work for them use them but company is paying for it.
Yes if i have like cutom made signs for one truck then it is a different story then i use the highest quality materials, either digital printed with lamination etc but then again i make more money. So it all depends.