• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Software

decalit

I am looking to get some new software for cutting and printing. I started out using LXI (signwarehouse) software when I was only doing cut work. I bought a used Mimaki JV3 and bought SIGNLAB which I use to think was the best out there, but I hate it... Its junk, I wasted $1,500. I used all Abobe products in design school, so I am pretty good with all those but the problem is I have that software on my MAC's. I am under the impression that almost nothing in ths sign industry will work on macs. So i am wondering what everybodys favorite software is to use. Thanks for the help. And anyone want to the lastest Signlab......

decalit

Also its pretty sad when free software that comes with your cutter runs better than software that MSRP for around $3500

CES020

I am under the impression that almost nothing in ths sign industry will work on macs. So i am wondering what everybodys favorite software is to use. Thanks for the help. And anyone want to the lastest Signlab......

What are you running or wanting to run that won't run on Mac's? Loads of people run their printing off of Mac's.

Biker Scout

You can actually print off a Mac. There is a version of Flexi that communicates with printers that is Mac compatible. However, just learned of Shiraz RIP which is better, and does in fact run on a Mac as well.

Continue to design in your favorite programs. Export your print file as either .eps or .tif and then RIP them with Shiraz or Flexi. (There might be a few others that are Mac compatible)

However, check with your printer manufacturer. If I recall the main connectivity issue I had at first was not having the correct cable. You need a "crossover" ethernet cable, then things should be good to go.

decalit

Thanks for the help.... I'm pretty sure my vinyl express cutter is not Mac compatible. And as I was looking at new 54" graphtec I don't think it was either... As far as printer , I am new to it so not to sure on that... But I will check into it more now.

im not seeing anyone promote any sign design program... Are they all junk?

Bigcat_hunter

Thanks for the help.... I'm pretty sure my vinyl express cutter is not Mac compatible. And as I was looking at new 54" graphtec I don't think it was either... As far as printer , I am new to it so not to sure on that... But I will check into it more now.

im not seeing anyone promote any sign design program... Are they all junk?

I ran flex 8.5 on my mac for a long time. It ran a mutoh and vinyl express cutter. Unfortunately it won't work with mavericks and they stopped making it for macs. I tried caldera but it wouldn't run the cutter. I gave up and bought a pc for rip and just do all of my designing on the macs.