• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best squeegee for large wall graphics

kheebl

I have a large wall graphic I have to install on a painted Sheetrock wall and was wondering what the best squeegee to use is? My go to is usually a 3m gold, but I was wondering if there was something better for wall graphics (I don't do maybe of these type of installs). Also any tips to make install easier? The wall was painted back in November and Is located in a new barber shop. I didn't print the graphic but it was printed on air release vinyl with gloss lam so that should hopefully make my job much easier (Customer knows wall will most likely be damaged upon removal)

CanuckSigns

I would have done matte, but I’m just installing it and didn’t have anything to do with the printed graphic.
Ahh, ok that makes sense. Take a razor blade scraper over the whole area first to knock off any high points in the drywall finish. I prefer to use a 4" squeegee with a felt buffer for these, but some people have had good luck with a big squeegee, but I've found them to be inconsistent and not great for linging up panels

kheebl

Ahh, ok that makes sense. Take a razor blade scraper over the whole area first to knock off any high points in the drywall finish. I prefer to use a 4" squeegee with a felt buffer for these, but some people have had good luck with a big squeegee, but I've found them to be inconsistent and not great for linging up panels
Luckily this one is just 1 piece about 5ft high x 7ft wide. I’m debating if I want to hinge it vertically or horizontally. Usually I prefer to hinge vertically but since it will just be me installing I’m thinking horizontally will be easier.

signheremd

Just did 3 like this yesterday. A felt squeegee works best. Fold 4 or more inches of wax paper back at the top of the graphic, crease sharply, and hinge at top using the exposed section to anchor. We usually have two guys on this and use a level on the side for alignment.

Agree with CanuckSigns: scrape off bumps in the paint, use matte vinyl for best end appearance, prefer a 4" squeegee for consistent laying.

We use a felt Avery Blue squeegee. If you don't have a felt squeegee, make one side of a gold squeegee felt by wrapping velcro fuzz around the edge.

Also, on a large graphic it will walk to one side if you always squeegee in one direction. So if you want to go right to left on one pass, go left to right on the next, and then right to left... or center out to right, then left, then center out to left, then right... will keep it going straight.

kheebl

I second this, since the felt is soft it will push the vinyl down into uneven surfaces. I usually spray some water on the felt as well to make it glide easily. I also find that the orafol squeegees have a bit more bend to them than the 3m brand ones, might not be preferable to everyone but it's preferable to me :)
I’ll have to order some of the orafol squeegees, I have never tried them out. I usually use 3m gold or the solid compressed felt squeegee’s. I was thinking about picking one of these up https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho...wrap-mafia-wrap-mafia-bill-collector-squeegee

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I buy 1000 felt tipped squeegees from china once or twice a year. Then I don't care if they get lost and I use a new one for every install. They're also good for giveaways

sardocs

I make my own version of a big squeegie from the aluminum extrusion we get for making road signs. I glue some soft material to the edge. It works amazingly well for large graphics.

Attachments

• homemade squeegie.jpg
    homemade squeegie.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 167
  • squeegie.jpg
    squeegie.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 165

d fleming

I've got an old 26" big squeegee that kills wall murals in a quickie. Have even used a 54 here and there. After that initial app I go with 12 and 6" wrapping squeegees.

kheebl

I make my own version of a big squeegie from the aluminum extrusion we get for making road signs. I glue some soft material to the edge. It works amazingly well for large graphics.
That looks like it works great. If I had some of that laying around I would definitely make my own.

sardocs

I think we get it from Grimco. I cut a 4' piece into a hand full of smaller sizes. To hold the feltish material I used banner tape on some and 3m spray adhesive on others.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If you have a really large mural a 10" or 12" metal mud knife with a 2" velcro loop works great. You need to use a 4" squeegee on the edges because the large squeegee will only press the vinyl on the high spots. Also make sure the velcro extends past the sharp corner.

kheebl

If you have a really large mural a 10" or 12" metal mud knife with a 2" velcro loop works great. You need to use a 4" squeegee on the edges because the large squeegee will only press the vinyl on the high spots. Also make sure the velcro extends past the sharp corner.
Great tip. The logo I’m doing is luckily only 1 piece and only about 5ft high x 7ft wide.

ikarasu

Do you have a source you can post for these?
Aliexpress is the easiest... ALibaba is the cheapest.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32814409287.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802qxnYFI About $150 for 200 pieces. If you Message the seller and say you want like 500... Price would probably be $200-250. A lot of the cost is in shipping because they DHL it by air, so 7ish days to arrive. Aliexpress is like the Chinese E-bay... They put the money in a "Trust" And the seller doesnt get it until you confirm item receipt, so it's safe... well, as safe as giving china your information.

Alibaba is for "Wholesalers". Theyre way cheaper. Chinese people love to haggle... when I was in china, I never paid list price on anything unless it was a big box store.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.32.f70df983zz0si8 I just bought 600 of these in black, should be here in a week. I throw one in with all my online orders / wall graphics... costs me less than 50 cents, and customers love it. .22 USD each (I got 4 cents off each one without even asking for them to go lower... ) then I think it was under $100 in shipping for 600 to Canada. This one is safe as well since you pay Via CC to alibaba, and can get a refund within 60 days if the items dont work or is defective.

I bought 100 bubble/air pens - https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.11.60791fcd3Qwe8W and 600 squeegees and it came to $330 USD. The pens sell for $17 each on Amazon... So Customers love it when they get one for free. Anything big thats over $200 I throw in a pen and a squeegee.. They feel like they got $25 in free tools that none of the competitors give... Theyre happy, I spent $1.25 only, so I'm happy... win win!

Why did I buy black instead of Blue? Because the Blue ones look like 3M... And last time I bought them most of them had the 3M PA/1 stamped on them... I could tell they werent 3M, but I wasn't about to send counterfeit stuff out to customers... so now I have about 200 that I use for installs for myself, a life time supply... :roflmao:

Last edited: