• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vector for the $$

signmeup

I just did that with a CDR file that I had and it looks like crap. It will open it, but I wouldn't do it that way.

Same way with the "place" function as well.
How did you open a cdr file with "irritator" ?(I thought that was funny oldgoat) I could have swarn you could somehow attempt to get a cdr file into illy but now I can't find it. Anyone know how to open a cdr in Ai CS4?

Also "and it looks like crap" is not a very precise description of whatever problem the file may have suffered on import. If you could be more specific as to the short coming perhaps I could attempt to help you out.

WildWestDesigns

So, are you saying that Irritator actually has an import filter for CDR files?

And that the resultant graphic is crap? So, who's fault would that be? Adobe's or Corel's?

Come to think of it, that would be smart on Adobe's part. Sour the users away from the competition...

Why would you expect a program to open a non-native file? Sure it adds a nice perk, but to be honest I was actually surprised that it did that.

I wouldn't expect to open a .DRAW file in a program whose native extension is .ngs, both the programs that come to mind actually come bundled together. You can export to one, but you can't use the DRAW file, however, you can do the reverse and use an ngs file in both programs.

Although, come to think of it, Corel (kinda like MAC) has to do something like that to be able to be accessible to the mainstream, while Adobe has the luxury of not needing to. Right or wrong that's the way things appear to be.

WildWestDesigns

How did you open a cdr file with "irritator" ?(I thought that was funny oldgoat) I could have swarn you could somehow attempt to get a cdr file into illy but now I can't find it. Anyone know how to open a cdr in Ai CS4?

Just open it like you would an Ai file in Corel. I do have CS5 though, I haven't tried it in CS4.

Also "and it looks like crap" is not a very precise description of whatever problem the file may have suffered on import. If you could be more specific as to the short coming perhaps I could attempt to help you out.

In a word: pixelation (or is it pixellation up there?). Which should not be an issue with a vector graphic.

CanuckSigns

Just open it like you would an Ai file in Corel. I do have CS5 though, I haven't tried it in CS4.

In a word: pixelation (or is it pixellation up there?). Which should not be an issue with a vector graphic.

That sounds like user error, a vector graphic by definition can't be pixelated, are you sure the file in question isn't what jill calls a "soccer taco"

WildWestDesigns

That sounds like user error, a vector graphic by definition can't be pixelated, are you sure the file in question isn't what jill calls a "soccer taco"

I have never heard of that term so I can't say one way or the other.

Considering it was a CDR file being open in Ai it could have been any number of variables. The mere fact that it wasn't Ai's native file to Adobe's attempt to sour people on Corel Draw.

Sign-Man Signs

What invisible lines? They are there only if you manually add them in. Maybe for someone who does not know what they are doing. You can have shapes that are not cut friendly in either program. Both AI and Corel treat stroked lines the same way. Print and look fine, but won't cut properly unless converted to outlines/paths

That is why I always ask my customers if they prefer cut ready or print files. Some like to have stroked lines when they print as it allows them to make changes to the file for different situations. A cut file is less forgiving if you ever want to make changes

My BEST vector tool is you, The Vector Doctor.
:U Rock:

signmeup

I can't find any way to do it in CS4. Sounds like at least Adobe is trying.(failing but trying). I found that I can "place" a cdr from Ai but it's version 10 or older. Bit of a pain.

Do you have Corel? If so open the Corel files people send you in Corel and save them as ai. That way you're in control and any user error should be eliminated. Easy peasy.

WildWestDesigns

Do you have Corel? If so open the Corel files people send you in Corel and save them as ai. That way you're in control and any user error should be eliminated. Easy peasy.

If I had Corel that's what I would probably have done. At least that's what I would like to think that I would have done. With what few brain cells I have left, who knows.

signmeup

If I had Corel that's what I would probably have done. At least that's what I would like to think that I would have done. With what few brain cells I have left, who knows.
If this is a real problem you can fix it pretty cheap. Corel doesn't cost much. It's even on sale right now.