• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vector for the $$

WildWestDesigns

Does Corel not export to .EPS? I just always assumed it did.

They do, but I would still get CDR files as well. Now with some of my issues with EPS files that were generated by Draw I think were due to what people were selecting while they were getting ready save it as an EPS. Which makes me wonder if it's more user error then it really is a software error, but I dunno for sure. Signmeup could actually be right and the arrogant bastards at Adobe don't want to me it easy for it to play well.

BadAss said:
As a vector program Adobe leaves a lot of invisible lines that are used to attach there art together, when that is put into a plooter those lines get cut just like any other and it leaves you wondering where it came from.

I've never had that issue and that would have affected me in both plotter as well as embroidery work.

Stagecraft

Left brain dominant Adobe.
Right brained, Coreldraw.
I use both and have always found Corel to be more intuitive.
Adobe, more geared to more methodical thinkers.
Of the two, I prefer Corel.

SAS

I would go with Corel for the money, It's a good program. Corel 10 is the last one I purchased, it was $399 but as Rodi posted if you can get X5 for $70 you can't go wrong.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Corel, Best for vector, Adobe best fro photos. As a vector program Adobe leaves a lot of invisible lines that are used to attach there art together, when that is put into a plooter those lines get cut just like any other and it leaves you wondering where it came from. They can only be seen in wireframe. With Corel they do not use these lines and are allways a much smaller file than their Adobe countrpart. We own both. But for ANYTHING vector we work in Corel, All Photo or full color styles we work with Adobe.. M*

What invisible lines? They are there only if you manually add them in. Maybe for someone who does not know what they are doing. You can have shapes that are not cut friendly in either program. Both AI and Corel treat stroked lines the same way. Print and look fine, but won't cut properly unless converted to outlines/paths

That is why I always ask my customers if they prefer cut ready or print files. Some like to have stroked lines when they print as it allows them to make changes to the file for different situations. A cut file is less forgiving if you ever want to make changes

Techman

See this type of thread always brings up a ton if misinformation.
Hidden lines. Industry standard. Hard to use. Underdog etc...

All of it misses the point. Corel Draw is a very good program suit. It has a place in our world of graphics manipulation. I use it for every thing. I even use it for CNC work. Corel draw has what it takes to compete in any market.

And then. Corel has added features wo many of us find very useful. Where as Adobe will make you purchase more plugins to get the same functions.

Inkscape is a powerful program as well. It has some tools the other two do not.

Adobe suit has its place too. I have it and find it very useful when I need it. But only when I need it. Otherwise it just takes up hard drive space.

All of who have both prefer one or the other. All of us who have both suits selected one at first then obtained the other. There are plenty here who own just one of the the three will soon have all three. That is the facts of life in a graphics world.

signswi

Corel, Best for vector, Adobe best fro photos. As a vector program Adobe leaves a lot of invisible lines that are used to attach there art together, when that is put into a plooter those lines get cut just like any other and it leaves you wondering where it came from. They can only be seen in wireframe. With Corel they do not use these lines and are allways a much smaller file than their Adobe countrpart. We own both. But for ANYTHING vector we work in Corel, All Photo or full color styles we work with Adobe.. M*

Sounds like you need to learn how to use the pathfinder tools.

Illustrator, by far, not even really something you can argue over. Especially with the CADtools plugin. Corel is okay if all you do is signage work but if you do anything else you're going to get into trouble quickly due to limitations. Plus with Illustrator you can work back and forth with the rest of the suite and really flex your capabilities (many people use Illustrator or Corel for things that should be assembled using InDesign, as one major example...).

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Well, its possible to go back and forth forever about what is the best vector-based design tool... but the OP's question was actually what is the best vector-based design tool for the money...?

That qualifier leaves out anything by Adobe...

WildWestDesigns

Well, its possible to go back and forth forever about what is the best vector-based design tool... but the OP's question was actually what is the best vector-based design tool for the money...?

That qualifier leaves out anything by Adobe...

Yes and no. It depends on how you value certain elements. Universal acceptance, how easily everything flows between the various programs etc.

I have had people not want to deal with coral files or their derivatives(files exported by coral), while I have yet to hear of one that didn't want to deal with an adobe file.

Now, if you are just talking about straight price of this program versus price of that program that's another thing and I would agree with you on that.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Its on sale too. Probably because X6 will be out soon.

Attachments

• Corel.jpg
    Corel.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 87

signmeup

Yes and no. It depends on how you value certain elements. Universal acceptance, how easily everything flows between the various programs etc.

I have had people not want to deal with coral files or their derivatives(files exported by coral), while I have yet to hear of one that didn't want to deal with an adobe file.

Now, if you are just talking about straight price of this program versus price of that program that's another thing and I would agree with you on that.
Now you have. I don't want to deal with Adobe files! ever.