• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to cut down rolls of vinyl

cajun312

We have historic flooding here in south Louisiana, I was lucky and only had a couple of inches of water in my shop. Almost all my vinyl rolls are stored on the white plastic caps that the vinyl is shipped with.
Now I have a couple of dozen rolls that have water damage on one end, most need 4 to 6 inches cut off.

Tried a hacksaw on one roll but that didn't work well. Any home brewed solutions I can use?

Here is a slide show of the flooding in the Baton Rouge area, over 30,000 people have been rescued at this time. The rains have moved on, but now the biggest issues are rivers over running the banks.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/collection_c2fc5754-6344-11e6-b333-8b43a8bb9314.html#1

cajun312

Ohh I forgot to mention, hats off to Graphics Solutions Group, I had an order in for four sheets of aluminum that was supposed to be delivered yesterday from the Baton Rouge warehouse. One of the employees called me from her home, said they had four feet of water in the building, but they will ship my order from their Houston branch with no extra shipping charges. That's above and beyond good customer service!

2B

glad you are okay and best of luck with the water.

we have found it best to roll the vinyl as tight as possible then take masking tape and wrap where you are going to cut, half on the good side / half on the bad. a band saw works best for cutting since you will ensure the truest cut. a table saw, miter saw or any power saw. try to avoid hand powered items as they do not cut fast enough and will leave a jagged edge

T_K

You could try contacting GSG to see if they have the ability to cut them down. That's assuming you're close enough that it'd be worth a trip hauling them there and back.

I'm guessing since it's flood damage that you'll get screwed by the insurance company. I worked a temp job for insurance claims from Hurricane Ike, and the companies were obsessed with the high water mark in these damaged structures because they didn't cover flood damage.

Phenex

I've used a miter saw on a several occasions, worked fine. As was mentioned earlier, roll tightly and cut in the center of taped area. I use about four inches which gives plenty of room to cut. Biggest issue I have found is the dust from the core. Depending on saw blade, you may need to smooth inside of the core.

Andy D

It seems like it would be a relatively simple thing to create a slitter..
You would need to set up dowel or rod with end caps to spin the roll like a lathe,
but it doesn't need to spin nearly as fast, and then a long utility blade with a fixed holder that could be weighted down.

decalman

A couple of years ago, I was looking all over for a baloney slicer, tape slitter, etc. I found them pricey.I don't need one now, but if I did, I may consider making one out of a lathe.You need a perfect cut, so the edges will be perfect. Lathes can be had for under 150 bucks.

cajun312

A couple of years ago, I was looking all over for a baloney slicer, tape slitter, etc. I found them pricey.I don't need one now, but if I did, I may consider making one out of a lathe.You need a perfect cut, so the edges will be perfect. Lathes can be had for under 150 bucks.

Hmm, never thought about a lathe, I have a friend an hour away who has one. Will contact him tonight. Not sure if I can get there will so many roads flooded at the moment, I-10 has been shut down for a couple of days now.

letterman7

Hmm... lathe... that's an interesting idea. I don't think a utility blade will work, though, since it'll have to dig deep. I wonder if a meat slicer blade would work.. mounted carefully, of course.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Lacking a real live splitter a miter saw with one of the aforementioned meat slicer blades is as good a solution. The blades aren't cheap and you wont find them down to your local home improvement center but they are available.

You can use an ordinary vanilla wood blade but be sure and put a wrap of tape around the roll where you're going to cut. Even at that the cut won't be smooth, a long way from it, so be sure to cut off the end that will be away from the tool carriage in whatever tackle where you're going to use this roll. Generally the left end as you face it with it unrolling over the top towards you for anything not reverse wound. Right end for reverse wound media..

S'N'S

Bandsaw will do it fine, you don't need perfect edges anyway, your cutter doesn't cut right to the edge.

letterman7

Yow... on fleabay new meat blades are $200+... and several companies are marketing the entire slicer for under $150...

Maybe I'll buy a slicer and have a dual role for the blade :Big Laugh