• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to finish steel?

ABPGraphics

We have a client that came in today. What they are wanting is a big sheet of steel that they can slap magnetics onto. The thing is they want it white and I was told for durability and longevity powder coating would be the best way to go. Anyone have any experience in working with steel? I've looked around and nobody does powder coating locally. How much should I be expecting to pay for white? Would a normal spray paint finish be up to par?

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

We get our white steel from a local roofing supply company, i'm not sure what they use it for, but it works great and has a very durable finish

strypguy

I got some from a company that refurbished large freezer and refrigeration equipment from grocery stores. Powder coating seems to be the accepted method of refinishing replacement panels.

John

ABPGraphics

Upon further research I found out that powder coating would be rather expensive and most people don't even have a large enough oven to bake anything larger than a 4x4 sheet. Baked Enamel coating is what is best.

surf city

try an autobody shop for a baked finish. Or see if there is a railing manufacturer that powdercoats their stuff in house. I know a couple but that's here in jersey.

S'N'S

Why not use Signwhite (gloss white colorbond used for signs)? Normal colorbond isn't white and is a flatter finish.
I buy it off the roll by the meter x 4ft wide, will last for years and magnetics will stick to it.

astro8

Why not use Signwhite (gloss white colorbond used for signs)? Normal colorbond isn't white and is a flatter finish.
I buy it off the roll by the meter x 4ft wide, will last for years and magnetics will stick to it.

+1 same thing I was thinking.

astro8

Hey S'N'S
when I was an apprentice I wrote a sign on Signwhite...still with the plastic on it...ahahhahah!!! Did I cop some over that or what, gives some meaning to my signature below.

S'N'S

Hey S'N'S
when I was an apprentice I wrote a sign on Signwhite...still with the plastic on it...ahahhahah!!! Did I cop some over that or what, gives some meaning to my signature below.

You should have said that was just your practice go.
I seen the same thing happen with a young guy who stuck vinyl all over a signwhite sign blank that he hadn't removed the clear plastic off.:Big Laugh