• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to re-do this wrap

gnubler

Here is one side. I went over the top and used some knifeless tape, which didn't work the best on some areas so I had to trim. I removed the tunnels and went over the top.
I'm thinking about trying knifeless tape on a similar van install coming up. Is it good for making relief slices in the indented areas?
I've been cutting by hand and find it stressful.

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm thinking about trying knifeless tape on a similar van install coming up. Is it good for making relief slices in the indented areas?
Not really, other's will probably have more valuable input, but it really works best when the vinyl is fully sealed against it, if the vinyl is tented up, or even if you stretch the vinyl into the indent, you'll either end up with tears where it's tented, or a fine cut where it's been stretched, that may be a point of failure later due to stretching, depending on the material.

gnubler

Yeah...I just did a test and it won't even work with the knifeless tape I have on hand. I did a test using the Design Line tape and it snapped, couldn't slice through laminated vinyl. I think it's meant for just a single layer of cast vinyl. Is the Finish Line knifeless what's needed to cut through laminated vinyl?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You need an edge for knifeless unless there's some secret trick nobody told me about.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Not really, other's will probably have more valuable input, but it really works best when the vinyl is fully sealed against it, if the vinyl is tented up, or even if you stretch the vinyl into the indent, you'll either end up with tears where it's tented, or a fine cut where it's been stretched, that may be a point of failure later due to stretching, depending on the material.
It's also harder to get knifeless straight IMO. It's easy to cut a straight line, just use lots of pressure so you cut all the way through the vinyl, and paint and primer.

JBurton

Signtologist
You need an edge for knifeless unless there's some secret trick nobody told me about.
This is the way. As far as I know, if you don't knick the vinyl right at the beginning of the tape, it'll stretch up a significant area of vinyl before something gives. I've also pre-slit the tape so the filament comes through the center instead of the side. Also heating the tape first with a TSA-4 roller, then heating the vinyl over the tape again.

Is the Finish Line knifeless what's needed to cut through laminated vinyl?
I think so, the design line says it can be torn by hand, the stuff I was using sure feels like it'll take the finger it's wrapped around off before it breaks.

Next time you're wrapping gifts, (if you have more time then sense) you can use ribbon like knifeless tape, tape it to your box first, wrap over it, leave the ribbon sticking out with the tag that says pull me. My wife thought it was neat. My kid was annoyed her gift came with unwrapping instructions...

Stacey K

I like making signs
What those guys said up there.

I found it useful for the straight edges but nothing more. I've used it on car doors but it's hard to get it straight and I have found a flexible type ruler to be easier. I've gotten pretty good at free handing but if you cut a bit too much then we all know what happens next...cut more, and more and soon it looks bad LOL

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Next time you're wrapping gifts, (if you have more time then sense) you can use ribbon like knifeless tape, tape it to your box first, wrap over it, leave the ribbon sticking out with the tag that says pull me. My wife thought it was neat. My kid was annoyed her gift came with unwrapping instructions...
I think that's pretty neat too. And I'm pretty sure my kid would have the same reaction.