• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to send file for CAD

Stacey K

I like making signs
Helping out the school with some artwork. A local company is cutting a circle and the outline of our team mascot. If I save it in Corel as an Auto Cad file, is that correct? I've attached just the rough file, not finished yet. The gray is metal, the purple will be vinyl. One big circle for the back. The mascot will be a separate piece that will be raised on pegs abut 1/2". They just need the outline of the mascot and the dimensions of the circle...so...if I send a file like this, is this correct? I don't want to look like an idiot. Thanks!

Attachments

• ZIelanis Plaque.jpg
    ZIelanis Plaque.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 229

Mosh

If it is just a flat cut export it as a SVG file. That is how I cut stuff on our cnc designed in corel.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
Best bet is to ask the fab shop cutting the metal, which file format they prefer. Most likely it'll be a dxf file of just a cutting path, leave all the graphics out of the cut file. If you need precision, make sure you give them dimensions, because they should be able to compensate for cutting kerf.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've found AutoCAD filters to be a bit iffy. I'd prefer exporting it as a .dxf

JB

Martin Denton

DXF all the way, autocad tends to treat circles as very small straight lines connected together to form a circle which makes routing a pain and not always very smooth

PMDLLC

DXF for sure. SvG works as well. Some shape files (SHP), too. But soley depends on the CNC. Always ask fabricator their preferred file format.

rjssigns

DXF all the way, autocad tends to treat circles as very small straight lines connected together to form a circle which makes routing a pain and not always very smooth

I send files to a local shop for laser cuts in DXF. Best bet is to call the shop and ask what they prefer.