• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Better color from sp300 with color rip

appstro

I have tried making my own profile. I have tried downloading other profiles that seem similar to what I am using. No matter what I try everything I print looks too green or blue. I made a minus c profile and that hlps a little but most of the time I loose other valuable color. I cannot afford to update to versaworks. Seems like the profiles I need are available for it. Does anyone else have an sp300 running color rip that has a profiles for orafol 3640? OR just better color translation info for me.

When I print indoors everything looks great, but once outside it appears greener or bluer. So the lighting in the shop is wrong but I walk outside for color checks and most of the time it looks like crap. HELP! Any roland techs out there???

appstro

I have tried a couple of them. I am creating in illustrator and in RGB mode. When I convert to CMYK the colorshift is even worse. i can try other profiles and see. Also 100% yellow is NEVER 100% unless I print without profiles at all. Whats up with that??

woolly

*Also 100% yellow is NEVER 100% unless I print without profiles at all. Whats up with that??

Normally means illustrator is using a bum profile on its way to colour rip
Should be able to print straight mag cyn yell but will have a look at my colour rip setting tomorrow. At work .
Bed time in the UK

appstro

Oh, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! :)

Not sure if it makes a difference but the media I am using is ORAJET 3640 Soft Calendered PVC Inkjet Media

Also if you dont mind.....

What are your color settings in illustrator? Currently mine reads "emulate adobe illustrator 6.0"
What are your system default icc profiles settings in colorip? Mine all read "default"
Under color transformations my settings:
Checked - Use embedded ICC profiles
RGB Vector relative colorimetric
RGB Raster Perceptual
CMYK Vector Relative Colorimetric
CMYK Raster Perceptual

Output profile SPEcoMH_Orafol_3641 (although I have tried many others)

130 in limit - Changes with each profile selected

Digital Mezzotint - Variant B

Last edited:

woolly

quick look

perceptual for all outputs

a ink limit of 140 will clip most of the darker colours should be more like 200 -250 if the material can't handel it change material. if you get banding then feed rate requires adjusting.

my corel eps output is set to no profiles send bitmaps rgb, vector don't matter (rgb or cmyk) on mine.

appstro

Thanks guys. Man,..sure seems like Roland would have put a small blurb somewhere in the paperwork that would tell you what your color settings need to be. At least a baseline. Looking at both your settings...they are completely different. Woolly, I can see why your ink limit would be higher running as perceptual. My understanding is that perceptual tends to pull all values down or into a pleasing level. So the higher limit makes sense. So you are sending files over from illustrator with no profile whatsoever? Hmm. I might have to try that. Does your yellows come out 100%?? How about taking your art outside? Do you see a colorshift effect on your prints in daylight?

woolly

yes yellows 100% no trace of any other colour in the print.
only colour shift i have is the grays look a little greenish outside.

appstro

OK. I downloaded the Oracal 3641 profile as a baseline. Cant find 3640 anywhere. Changed it to Perceptual. Boosted Magenta +7% in "correction curves". I also have Illustrators color handling set to US "Prepress Defaults- Adobe 1998" as that seems to be the correct icc for printers. Color looks much better and yellow is yellow. THANK YOU!!! I will continue to tweak the colors a bit. I keep running outside to check the shift. Its amazing how much the colors change when you go outside!