• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bi-Directional

Commando

Shortly after purchasing my jv33 160 new, my bi directional started blurring, so-to-speak. And very grainy. I messed with it, called tech support yadda yadda yadda and never could get good results. I put it on uni-directional and never looked back. until a couple weeks ago.
I had some time to goof off and thought I would try it for kicks. It looked just as good as uni! I have been printing everything bi since then. A minute ago, I tried printing some decals on oracal control tac and it looked like crap. Switched it to uni, and perfection.
What the hek? Schizo?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The bi-directional alignment is mostly affected by media thickness, head height and head wear. If you are printing on multiple types and thicknesses of media, that would cause some to look good and some to not. That is why Mimaki gives you 4 different setup types to save your alignments in for different medias. If you raise the head height to print on banner and then put vinyl in without lowering the head height, it will cause the same issue. As the head ages it will get worse as well and may need to be re-aligned. The bi-directional alignment is a timing adjustment. It anticipates how long a dot will take to go from the nozzle to the media. If that distance changes, the timing changes.

Commando

The bi-directional alignment is mostly affected by media thickness, head height and head wear. If you are printing on multiple types and thicknesses of media, that would cause some to look good and some to not. That is why Mimaki gives you 4 different setup types to save your alignments in for different medias. If you raise the head height to print on banner and then put vinyl in without lowering the head height, it will cause the same issue. As the head ages it will get worse as well and may need to be re-aligned. The bi-directional alignment is a timing adjustment. It anticipates how long a dot will take to go from the nozzle to the media. If that distance changes, the timing changes.

I was printing on same material Monday afternoon.
I also never change my head height. Never had to.