• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Billboard Cover

RiXaX

I've painted boards for many years and now need to do one of those digital printed covers. I don't know where to order, how long they last, or how to install one over a plywood sign with framework on the back side? Would I be better printing vinyl in 4x8 sections to apply on aluminum and install the panels? I'd like advice and direction please.

printhog

you can buy all the stuff you need for vinyl flex from https://formetcohardware.com/product-category/hardware/.. dont use pvc pipes or conduit, they will bend and your face will lose tension and look crappy. Formetco has the fiberglass rods, the ratchets, and even the safety stuff if youre making a permanent change. attach the straps to heavy duty lag bolts on the sign's stringers or to that structural elements behind the face. you use the fiberglass rods all the way around the flex. stop by one n your neighborhood and you'll see how its done. As for the print, there are several firms you can use that specialize in this.. I dont recommend Kramer at all, IME very disreputable firm.
Other printers with great track records:
https://www.isco.net/lp/ooh-capabilities/

As for art, setup a 4-6" bleed and follow the print shops instructions. Going rate is around $1 psf for 300 sq ft> Print quality varies based on use. if you want a long term (2-3 years) discuss this upfront, most billboard prints are intended to last the contract term of a year or less, but firms like CircleGraphics have longer life inks.

ProSignTN

RiXax, We do a steady amount of these and have for years. You can use any large format printer capable of sewing pole pockets. We get our ratchet straps from Billboard Solutions. We use EMT conduit for poles instead of PVC. PVC tends to bow with pressure and heat over time, or outright crack if installed cold. Circle Graphics is the largest printer in North America and does a ton for Lamar Outdoor. Their standard pocket is 3", so a 12'x24' fave size will finish at 13'x25'. I've attached a few pictures. . The ink will start fading about two years in, but under normal conditions is legible for 4-5 years. The vinyl itself will last for years. The 12'x40' that I've shown the backside of and the A-Frame (Flea Market - Art & Frame Outlet) doesn't have any plywood on it, just 2"x 6" stringers After hurricane Katrina there was an ad in a trade journal showing a pic of the structure with a flex and after with the flex destroyed "Before Katrina, this was the largest off premise outdoor advertising structure in the state of Louisiana, after Katrina, it still is". Impressed me. We started building them with a 2 by frame and quit using plywood. Not a single failure yet.

Attachments

• KIMG4916.jpg
    KIMG4916.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
  • DSC00948.JPG
    DSC00948.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00949.JPG
    DSC00949.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 112
  • KIMG3960.jpg
    KIMG3960.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 108
  • KIMG3963.jpg
    KIMG3963.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 118

visual800

use signs2trade and put banner over it IF it is temporary as most billboards are, 13oz will suffice. I like to add about 6" around the sign to "wrap" it behind and secure it. If its long term you may want to go with other products

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
We get our billboard covers from Signs365. By Ordering a 15oz banner about 3 to 4 inches taller and about 1 to 2feet wider than the billboard with 1in pole pockets top & bottom since they don't do pole pockets all 4 sides.
After I get the banner in at my shop we hem left & right side with banner tape to make pole pockets and then add grommets too each side to make the side pockets stronger.
Lift the banner into place and attach to billboard with 10 to 12 large HD 6in jaw opening Spring clamps and get the banner as smooth as possible BEFORE inserting fiberglass rods and ratchet straps.
Then tighten the straps from the center up and down and then from each side centers and then tighten straps outward from there until done.

I also print a faint / transparent 1/4" hairline the actual size of the billboard on the banner which can't be seen from the ground to show exactly where to line up the banner
on the billboard. No need to level or measure the banner on the billbaord to make sure it's in the right spot this way.