• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

black perforated on window?

JoySigns

A new grocery store wants black perf put on some high windows (this is new construction) that are south facing and are letting in too much hot sun that is shining onto their deli meat coolers. I know solid black is not a good idea on windows, will the black perf be OK? I've never worked with perf films before, is there one available that come in black or do I have to get black printed on the film? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'm not aware of perf coming in colors. I'd agree with jfiscus though. Unless they are wanting something printed on it - tint sounds like the best solution. You could always just print the perf with solid black though and go that route.

RobbyMac

We've used perf that is black on the adhesive side. Is it an option to install the perf on the window interior (assuming they want black facing the exterior)? That'd leave unprinted white facing the interior of the store.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We've used perf that is black on the adhesive side. Is it an option to install the perf on the window interior (assuming they want black facing the exterior)? That'd leave unprinted white facing the interior of the store.

+1

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It may depend on what you're referring to as "perforated".

Perforated black vinyl is commonly used on channel letter faces so that they appear black during the day but illuminate a different color at night. It's more commonly referred to as "day/night" vinyl and is typically black or white with both being white on the back. Of course you can digitally print any color on the front of the white.

slipperyfrog

All black vinyl perf or not is only going to do one thing...create more heat on the windows and possible break them.

This is a job for tint. You will have proper options to combat the sun's rays and the heat. Talk to a tinter.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
3M makes a silver tint that is designed to be installed on the exterior of windows.
It would be your best bet if you can't access the inner sides of the windows.
A silver reflective film will reject the most solar energy with much less of an increase in the heat load on the window vs something dark placed on the outside.
A dark film is going to heat those windows same as it would in a roof mounted solar water heater.

wayne k
guam usa