• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black vinyl on Large windows

Jb1983

Have a job requiring 2 large windows to be wrapped in a black background. Each window is 45" wide and 81" tall.
Im worried about the black getting too hot and cracking the glass? I know this easily happens when wrapping the inside but what if I wrap the outside?

I am planning on wrapping them on the outside. windows are single pane.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Are they in direct sun? I doubt it gets terribly hot where you are. You'd probably be ok. I wouldn't do it where I'm at unless it's window perf.

Jb1983

They are on the Northwest side of the building so they would get direct sunlight for part of the day. There is no roof overhang or anything to block the sun on the side they are on.

DaveD

Installing on the outside of the window will not change the heating effect and seals can damage. Window tint with a metallic finish to refract the suns heat is really the only safe option for when trying to black out the windows. This is used on skylights often.

That said we have had customers sign a release and when their window seals failed we were off the hook. Not a great solution but sometimes the customer just wants what they want!

asd

I did something similar to that last spring, installed black vinyl on the inside of the glass the temperature in the room went up by at least 15 degrees real fast, and when we remove the vinyl off the glass it peel off the window tint also. it did not crack the glass because it was only up for 2 weeks. the windows were covered because the store owner was doing a remodel and he wanted to block out the windows.

signman315

Signmaker
Whatever happened to taping brown paper in the window during remodels?
haha right! I've started giving away the liner paper from rolls of laminate for contractors to use. At which point I can usually up sell them to cheap, unhemmed banners attached to the inside of the window with double sided tape. That way they can advertise the upcoming business while working the buildout...

signman315

Signmaker
What does that have to do with this post?
More than your post lol! Just having a little fun with ya, no disrespect meant. I think he was humorously suggesting brown paper as an option instead of the black vinyl mentioned in the OP? I thought it was a good post bc I see so many contractors using brown paper still, when there are more attractive and equally affordable options :)

eahicks

More than your post lol! Just having a little fun with ya, no disrespect meant. I think he was humorously suggesting brown paper as an option instead of the black vinyl mentioned in the OP? I thought it was a good post bc I see so many contractors using brown paper still, when there are more attractive and equally affordable options :)

I think my comment was very relevant, tyvm.
Are they in direct sun? I doubt it gets terribly hot where you are. You'd probably be ok. I wouldn't do it where I'm at unless it's window perf.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-28_16-24-31.png
    upload_2018-11-28_16-24-31.png
    7 KB · Views: 132

unclebun

What does that have to do with this post?
I did something similar to that last spring, installed black vinyl on the inside of the glass the temperature in the room went up by at least 15 degrees real fast, and when we remove the vinyl off the glass it peel off the window tint also. it did not crack the glass because it was only up for 2 weeks. the windows were covered because the store owner was doing a remodel and he wanted to block out the windows.

Chasez

On single pane glass on the exterior side won't do anything to the glass. There won't be enough heat gain to cause thermal breakage especially on a NW face with no shading. We do it all the time here in Calgary. I would check to see if the glass is tempered as well - if it is there would be no worries about it at all, even on an interior application.

Chaz

eahicks

Unclebun
Why did you attach my comment with that one? I was not even responding to that comment.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
IMHO Brown paper is less expensive than black vinyl. just put some cheap vinyl copy on the paper or print on it "opening Soon" and use low adhesive tape to put it on tyhe window second surface. Costs less and the customer comes back for some real signage for his fascia.