• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blackout windows with panels

JBurton

Signtologist
It's my turn to black out some windows! I priced up 3m 2080 black at $1.8/ft^2, and black ACM at $1.88/ft^2. My thought was to just cut acm panels and adhere them to the window to save install time, but I'm concerned with how much tape/lexel to use, as I imagine the whole panel buckling when it expands. I could trim it out and screw the trim to the window, but now my material costs are getting too high. Could I just lexel the whole perimeter with some tape in the corners to hold it while it sets?
Anybody try to do something similar? Am I just being lazy not wanting to stick vinyl?

ikarasu

What's on the inside of the windows? If it's something they can see, are they going to be happy seeing tape and glue everywhere?

The one benefit of vinyl is you have the same look on both sides.

And of course depending on how much tape and glue you use when they take it off, it might end up being cheaper or just replacing the window!

If none of the above is a concern, the few times that we did it we just used a foam tape so if the windows do Flex the tape will Flex with it. We didn't use any glue or anything, but they've been up for years with no issues.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I second the foam tape but use black if you can find it. Placed neatly around the windows I don't think you would notice the tape much.

I think glue might look a bit messy? It might not matter, maybe the windows aren't really in close view.

ikarasu

We usually go 1" away from the edge around the perimeter (so we can get a knife and cut it to remove) and then a strip down the center for good measures.

gnubler

I just quoted a similar job and the customer decided wrapping the windows with black vinyl was too expensive.
They're probably going with option C, which is to cut pieces of black Coro to fit and secure with double face tape. Windows are north facing so I don't foresee much warping happening.

victor bogdanov

I recently did window blackout with cheap black vinyl wet applied, was pretty easy wet applying. The glue turned white from the water/soap but once everything dried out looked great

citysignshop

It's my turn to black out some windows! I priced up 3m 2080 black at $1.8/ft^2, and black ACM at $1.88/ft^2. My thought was to just cut acm panels and adhere them to the window to save install time, but I'm concerned with how much tape/lexel to use, as I imagine the whole panel buckling when it expands. I could trim it out and screw the trim to the window, but now my material costs are getting too high. Could I just lexel the whole perimeter with some tape in the corners to hold it while it sets?
Anybody try to do something similar? Am I just being lazy not wanting to stick vinyl?
A cautionary tale for anyone who runs across this kind of thing....
the short version: if the sun hits the glass, the light is normally passed THROUGH....( 97% or...). If you apply a dark colour to the glass, it will ABSORB the energy, and the glass will heat up ....a LOT!

longer version; I was about to paint a big promo splash on a hot tub store ( remember the 80's?) I used poster paint on the inside, big white and yellow letters, with a bold black outline and shade! ( maybe 30% of the glass?)
The day before I painted it, I read an article in SignCraft mag about this problem, so I warned the client that the west-facing windows would heat up and expand. He blew it off ( just renting the space). I really should have gotten the landlords permission, but hey, not like I was bolting a sign to the building, right?
When painting the huge splash, I noticed there was the odd 'chip' in the thick 8' x 10' panels, like a rock-chip in a car windshield. It was near a highway, perhaps rocks thrown from snowplows or sand truck? I proceeded.
A month or two later, spring arrived, the sun became more intense, and I saw cracks appear in the glass...mostly radiating from the edges, I suppose where rough cuts had been made, and not polished out! The landlord freaked out, told the tenant he had to replace the glass....which of course, he refused, and said it was a pre-existing condition. I was not blamed, more due to luck than my verbal warning....but potentially $20,000 of glass affected. A forensic analysis would like conclude that the glass was installed with inadequate space to expand in the frames, and/or the building had settled, putting pressure on the glass causing the stress cracks to start, unseen behind the gasket.
SO......... I totally endorse solid sheeting of some kind that can be easily removed, will deflect the heat if it's exposed to sunlight etc.
ah, another fun day in the sign circus eh? :)

JBurton

Signtologist
Anybody else have the problem with not getting notifications on your own thread?
At any rate, I'd love to just paint the back of the window, but they built a wall behind the window, so no access. As far as I know, these will be permanent, until another tenant or remodel.
I hate blacking out windows, it's not hard, but any dust behind it is irritating to me, not typically visible in matte vinyl to the customer, but I waste so much time on trying to have a perfect install on a product nobody should look at that it's frustrating. So cutting some panels and sending them out with the regular install crew is ideal to me. Going to aim for foam tape, perimeter plus central strip, and throw a line into my acts of god clause to include "Indemnity from both known unknown factors, and unknown unknown factors, including but not limited to defects in glass being amplified in the course of performing industry standard business practices."