• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blade depth changing during cutting.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Goatshaver,
Do a one cut process instead of two cuts.
Try reducing your blade depth to a minimum and increase your pressure or reduce your pressure and slowley increase your blade depth.
I have four Graftecs, a fc2250 which I cut magnets on, two fc8600 and the new fc9000 which cut all my vinyl (about 1200 linear feet of 54" 6mil vinyl weekly all shapes and sizes)
Everytime I change a blade (about every 90 days) I go through this process, and the settings are never the same.
Be patient you will find the right combination.
Graftec cutters have the same problems as the Summas.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
Goatshaver---I have the exact issue with my blade holder for my ioline plotter. I'm figuring it's a worn blade holder that needs replacing, but I eliminated the issue by simply wrapping a piece of scotch tape around the blade holder to serve as a clamp (in a way that allowed it to still fit properly in the carriage). Been cutting with it for over a year and it hasn't moved again yet.

Goatshaver

Goatshaver,
Do a one cut process instead of two cuts.
Try reducing your blade depth to a minimum and increase your pressure or reduce your pressure and slowley increase your blade depth.
I have four Graftecs, a fc2250 which I cut magnets on, two fc8600 and the new fc9000 which cut all my vinyl (about 1200 linear feet of 54" 6mil vinyl weekly all shapes and sizes)
Everytime I change a blade (about every 90 days) I go through this process, and the settings are never the same.
Be patient you will find the right combination.
Graftec cutters have the same problems as the Summas.
I tried one cut but it doesn't seem to cut cleanly enough for the sticker to be popped out of the sheet easily. I found 2-pass works great, just takes a little longer. I'll give it another go though.
Yeah I definitely have to reset the blade every time I change it to do these deep cuts.

I'm looking at the graphtec for one reason, is the cutting channel for doing the perf cuts on die cut stickers, otherwise I'd just go with another Summa S2T.

Goatshaver

Goatshaver---I have the exact issue with my blade holder for my ioline plotter. I'm figuring it's a worn blade holder that needs replacing, but I eliminated the issue by simply wrapping a piece of scotch tape around the blade holder to serve as a clamp (in a way that allowed it to still fit properly in the carriage). Been cutting with it for over a year and it hasn't moved again yet.
Yeah it definitely was the blade holder. I got a new one and had very little problems cutting after I switched them up.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I've gone back and forth on this. While it's not meant to do them, I've seen several people state they are doing these types of cuts on their summa. I do two cuts that are just deep enough to just break the backer slightly and then I can pop them out. However no one can seem to say how they do it. I just found a way through trial and error.

Unfortunately I do a lot of these cuts and it seems my blade holder was worn beyond use. A new holder works better but still not ideal. I was sold this machine as being able to do these types of cuts only to find out that it's much more difficult than I thought.

I think my next purchase will be a Graphtec since it is better designed for doing these types of cuts. I'm just losing productivity and reprinting stuff I shouldn't have to reprint.

Hate to burst your bubble...but die cutting is meant to be done with a die. Not a plotter. I also struggle trying to get "die-cut" results from a plotter. It's like trying to get a powder-coated quality paint finish from an aerosol can of spray paint.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Hate to burst your bubble...but die cutting is meant to be done with a die. Not a plotter. I also struggle trying to get "die-cut" results from a plotter. It's like trying to get a powder-coated quality paint finish from an aerosol can of spray paint.
Meh not true. Flatbed cutter is made to do it. Roll cutter... great if it works, but it wasn't designed for it.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Meh not true. Flatbed cutter is made to do it. Roll cutter... great if it works, but it wasn't designed for it.
Yes for sure a flat bed equipped with a knife, a bit, or a laser can output some nice cuts. But a drag knife roll plotter is not going to yield the same results as a true die cut. I remember paying a lot of $$$ back in the day for those custom dies.

Saturn

Aging Member

S2T Summa doing it. (Wish I had experience with the drag version Goatshaver!)
Graphtec doing it.
Both from forum users.

I admit the Summa has a steep learning curve or narrower window of adjustment than most folks are probably able to commit to, but I LOVE the thing. Planning to add a second one in the next few months.

Joseph44708

My graftec 8600 130
Cutting 30 sets of 5 colors grouped. Cut 5 sheets of these.
After cutting I alligned all 5 sheets and punched them out together, it took less than 5 minutes to punch 750 total stickers and to seperate the colors.
If I can figure how to post the video here I will.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-215818_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-215818_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112

Goatshaver

My graftec 8600 130
Cutting 30 sets of 5 colors grouped. Cut 5 sheets of these.
After cutting I alligned all 5 sheets and punched them out together, it took less than 5 minutes to punch 750 total stickers and to seperate the colors.
If I can figure how to post the video here I will.
Just curious...what angle blade do you use for these types of cuts?

Anyone with a Summa what angle blade are you using for doing full cut out stickers?

Joseph44708

Just curious...what angle blade do you use for these types of cuts?

Anyone with a Summa what angle blade are you using for doing full cut out stickers?
I use a 30 for everything.
Kiss Cut and Cut Through.all cuts are cut in the channel not on the hard strip.