• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blocked Head

Hi there.

Constantly getting a bad test print (on the cyan) but it's not just missing it's also coming out the wrong colour (very dirty cyan). Done endless cleans, Little charge etc..
The things that gets me is it's not consistent. It will come 95% right! last like that for a few prints and then a day later (on another job) reverted back.
Machine is a Mutoh VJ 1324. Could it be air in the cyan line? any thoughts? It is all ways just the cyan. (sorry for the poor quality photo).

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks Simon

Attachments

• bad patten.jpg
    bad patten.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 218

unmateria

Hi, can you post a full nozzle check? :) usually is a shrinkage of a rubber inside the printhead that can be solved or just you replaced the damper in incorrect position (but u would have blue where it should be black) and a bad wiper. Thats why i need to see a full check

Hi Unmateria

Not sure if this is what you mean by a "full nozzle check" see attached. If it is? I can post a higher resolution image if it helps. thanks Simon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 1.10.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 1.10.53 PM.png
    336.2 KB · Views: 94

unmateria

I cant see it well on mobile :(

Turn on the machine while pressing up+right+down (or up+left+down, i dont remember) and look in adjustments->nozzle check. You can check printhead signals too on A,B,C,D (k,k,c,c)... Move printhead manually into a white paper and make a x100 print with each of those signals after a strong cleaning and post that too. It should be 4 vertical lines.

Hi Umateria

Thanks for the advice. I can't seem to find how to get into the "printhead signals" option but here is a nozzle check. As you can see the cyan print is not good.

ta Simon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 3.04.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 3.04.11 PM.png
    537.6 KB · Views: 85

unmateria

Uff... Yes, im sorry to tell you that crossink looks like a printhead end of life (comunicated chambers). Try replacing the dumper if you have a yellow/blue one and check the rubber inside the printhead is in good health, but i must say you that looks completely like a chamber crossink, and that doesnt have any solution but buying a new printhead. Dont buy a chinese or refurbished one...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I agree with above but you might also change the dampers and see if that helps at all. Sometimes a bad damper can cause such bad cross contamination. But it is very likely internal head damage.

Thanks Guys. Might be time for a new printer (shame as it was not long ago I put a new head in and has not done a lot of work)
Just wondering why it might have packed in so soon?. Machine is never turned off (regular cleaning cycles) I have recently being putting thick paper through
(rather than self adhesive vinyl) Could this be damaging the head? I have to admit I'm lazy about setting the media type.
Thanks again. Simon

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks Guys. Might be time for a new printer (shame as it was not long ago I put a new head in and has not done a lot of work)
Just wondering why it might have packed in so soon?. Machine is never turned off (regular cleaning cycles) I have recently being putting thick paper through
(rather than self adhesive vinyl) Could this be damaging the head? I have to admit I'm lazy about setting the media type.
Thanks again. Simon
Make sure to change the dampers, replace the cap top, and flush the pump lines with cleaning solution while you're in there changing the cap top. The contamination could be coming from any of those items failing. It's still likely the head but it's worth a shot to change out those cheaper parts first.

Heads usually don't fail this early but when they do it's usually either someone flushed the head too hard, the ink is not OEM and too harsh on the head, and/or just plain bad luck. Unless you're getting tons of head strikes, I wouldn't blame the paper.

humberto s

Experts already say everything that is possible to do. but can u tell us what inks you are using, original mutoh or another brand and if the print head is original mutoh or not. good luck

Hi Humberto. Yes Genuine Mutoh head and ink. I have just noticed that the ink is way past it's expiry date. (talking years not months) . So going to try some fresh ink. It cant hurt and could potential be an easy fix.
thanks Simon