• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BN-20 color problem

RS250

Hi everyone,

I am completly new in this field.
I bought a BN20 and newhead from my roland dealer. I havn't used it during two month (summer closing).
I have done a head soak and multiples normal/medium cleaning and all the nozzle came back pretty quick.
Here is the print test:
IMG_1649.jpg

I have started printing some stickers and played with the quality settings.
I have also printed the color library and I am not happy with the colors. I see a bunch of little dots rather than solid colors in a nice color gradient.
The file is a vector converted into a pdf or eps (I have tried both and can't see difference)
I have used media profile vinyl 1 generic and also GVWG monomeric (Media is POLI-PRINT 1200 White Gloss).

How can I overcome this problem to get solid colors ? Thank you for your help

IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1659.jpg

dweavers

what material are you printing on as your nozzle check looks perfect and you shouldnt be getting such a rubbish swatch print out

dweavers

it sounds like you are printing the swatch library form a file?
this is probably where its going wrong as you are able to change profiles etc.
you need to print the swatch out of versaworks (it is built in) and is not able to be edited, open versa works and go to media-colour chart 1, and select and print that,'ditch the other file that you are using

RS250

Thanks for your answer. I have noticed this morning that I am missing a red canal on the left. Could it be the reason of this problem ?
For the swatch library I have printed it directly from versaworks like you said in media-colour chart 1.

JBurton

Signtologist
I am missing a red canal on the left. Could it be the reason of this problem ?
I'm unfamiliar with versaworks and rolands, but if you are indeed missing a whole channel (canal being the French term I assume, how interesting), then yes, that would be a problem. I believe leaving this machine is not meant to set idle for long periods, as the ink will damage the heads. At least next summer, swing by and print with it on occasion.
Dang Frenchies and their long vacations!
And the Coneheads thing...

damonCA21

Thanks for your answer. I have noticed this morning that I am missing a red canal on the left. Could it be the reason of this problem ?
For the swatch library I have printed it directly from versaworks like you said in media-colour chart 1.
Do you have two magenta cartridges loaded on the machine, and do both have ink in? You can set up the BN20 for various different ink combinations, so if you only have one magenta cartridge it will only print out one set on the test print

RS250

I have to say that I trully love the way you guys imagine us here. :toasting:
Oh dear ! Yes 5 weeks per year I guess we are quite lucky in France for this but, for some people it became a national sport. I suppose productivity is good. This summer the printer sat for 2 months not printing... I didn't know that you have to print so regularly to get this printer running good...

To answer to the question, yes I have two magenta cartridge but the print test show me only one channel even after 72h head soak.. Maybe the second cartridge is desactivated ? Should I put back the printer in factory reset ?

JBurton

Signtologist
Gotta ask,have you touched base with the Roland distributor you purchased from? Depending on how long ago you bought it, you may have some help from them, not sure how they handle warranties on heads though.

damonCA21

Have you tried printing out any other print jobs rather than just the colour swatch? It may be something is corrupt in the swatch file and that is causing the problems with the colours.

If it sat for 2 months, it could well be the one magenta channel is clogged badly enough that even a head soak won't clear it. The first thing you need to do is to see if ink is actually reaching the head from the cartridge. You will need to disconnect the damper from the head, and see if you can pull ink through it with a syringe. Make sure the printer is turned off and unplugged from the wall for at least 15 minutes before doing this, and be very careful not to spill any ink into the head.

If the head is getting ink ok, then you know the problem is elswhere and can investigate that.

It is worth doing a factory reset just in case the previous owner didn't have it set up for two magenta cartridges

RS250

Yes I just did and the yellow still looks with a lot of spots on it...
I have bought a BN20 with a dead head that I have sent to my Roland distributor here but they doesn't look to be very good.
Could it be because of a bad media profile ?

IMG_1647.jpg

damonCA21

Generic vinyl 1 as the profile should be fine. To be honest I use this most of the time and have never had any problems with the print.