• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bobcat Upgrade

Simsvan

Hello there, I know some of you fellows have issues with cheap chinese plotters, but I thought I'd share an upgrade with the others who enjoy challenging hardware. My bobcat has given 3 years of sterling service for my t-shirt printing business here in Windsor, UK, (except for regular re-plugging of the usb cable to get the cutter recognised), but I felt uncomfortable with the pinch wheel setup, I'm an engineer by trade and 3 little pinch wheels is asking for alignment problems. So I cut a 600mm by 350mm panel of 3mm plastic sheet which I feed into the cutter as a flat bed. A light spray of photo mount means any piece of garment vinyl placed ontop will stay positioned for perfect cutting. A pen in the blade holder has drawn a reference outline of the biggest cutting page possible, and a matching template page on CoralDraw means any size design for a shirt is always cut exactly within the page edge, and offcuts are now used as the plastic sheet holds them firmly. I re-spray every 10 pages, and my rolls of vinyl can be cut to fit cutting area exactly.

Is there such a thing as an off-the-shelf flatbed vinyl cutter out there? I really like the way mine looks when cutting, the bed shooting in and out (watch the stomach!), and I do get a buzz out of using all my offcuts.

Apologies to the purists out there, as well as cutting I work on tv shows like Junkyard War (Scrapheap Challenge over here in UK) so I fix rather then chuck.

Richard

Jim Jarriel

Off The Shelf Flat Bed Cutter

Hi Richard,

Ioline produces a flat bed cutter, 18" x 30". Its called the Ioline 300 System and comes with the Ioline 301 Cut & Sew software which bridges files from Corel Draw(.plt) Adobe Ill.(.dxf) and most embroidery formats.
However it was originally designed to cut textiles but you can cut vinyl with it as well. It's a little pricy but it would allow you to expand your business into the sports uniform or garment decoration market.

The 300 System is $6995, 1 year parts and labor, no onsite service.

So there you go.

Good luck in your endevours.

Jim Jarriel
Ioline Product Support