• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

bomber nose art / pinup girls..

Pat Whatley

for those taking this on a totally different tack..........i dont imagine that the son of VARGUS is gona go to the same marina or part of the ocean where the boat will be and MESS WITH THE OWNER OF IT OVER A COPY WRITE of a copy of his dads work!!!!!
i have done copies of frazettas, and many other recognizable art paintings and NEVER HAVE BEEN hassled ahout the copy write. look up the MONA LISA, and many other famous art works...........how many copies of them have been made.............AS LONG AS you dont try to pass it off as YOUR ART WORK..............i dont see a problem.
Wait....aren't you the same guy who got busted for painting Garfield on something?

OldPaint

busted? no CAUGHT IN THE ACT.......of doing a "garfield" on a tow truck by no other then DIK BROWN(hagar the horrible cartoonist). i saw his VW van pull into the gas station where i was doing the tow truck. on the front of the vw van was a tire cover with a great HAGAR THE HORRIBLE....... painted on it. he walked in the bay where i was working and saw what i was doing and after i complimented him on the GREAT LOOKIN HAGAR on his VDUB, i asked him who did the painting............he said i did, IAM DIK BROWN!!!! and you know my next door neighbor(jim davis) wouldnt be happy to see me doing his garfield. i explained i was doin this for "free" and the owner of the tow truck was a big fan of jim davis garfield. we talked a little more and told him i was a friend of his daughter and alot of her friends..........he said dont do it again!!!! that was it.
this was done in 86-87.

Attachments

• garfield2.jpg
    garfield2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 101

MakeMyGraphic

wow, this sounds like some debate... now..

it makes me wonder though. If someone is a fan of said artist and just wants to commemorate them or remember them by idolizing their artwork and placing on their boat, IF the boat is for non-commercial use (like for leisure etc) and they commission an artist to paint it onto their boat for them (or in this case PRINT it on vinyl) would you supplying your materials and time (not selling the actual artwork but just selling your time and materials ) still be an infringement even though "technically" there is no "proffit" and you are just covering your time essentially for this project?

sooo... for example.

if your materials cost = $50
and your time to print and prep this = 4 hrs

and you intend to do this job for a $200 "budget"

200 - 50 = 150 / 4 = $37.5 hr

then technically you are just selling the "service" to get the customer something they want at "cost" no?

what if my hourly design fees are $100 hr? :p

well just thought I would ask since this subject is already here :)

not sure how someone can explain this in another way since I really stink at explaining :\

help?

signswi

Profit doesn't affect the legality, only the judgment. It's still infringement. IP law covers more than just tangible fiscal issues, it also covers brand perception and a bunch of other things that are hard to quantify in monetary amounts. Basically if you create something you have the right to control how it's displayed no matter if profit is involved or not.

MakeMyGraphic

I see... so pretty much if Vargas' son found the pin up depiction to be offensive or distasteful he could find grounds to complain about it :\

back to the drawing board! (literally)