• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Book: Real World Color Managment

Custom_Grafx

Just wondering if anyone has this book, and if so, what do you think?

I'm thinking about buying it but just wondering if it's only full of stuff that's already on the net or on forums, or if I'm really going to be learning something from reading it.

Any opinions - or suggestions on other books are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John

bbeens

I have read this book a couple of times. Very good at explaining the science of color. Might be a bit thin on practical tips for digital printers, but I think I'd you want to understand color management it is a must read.

Bryan-

Custom_Grafx

Thanks for the info. Yes i'm trying to find something like that. the more i learn about colour profiles etc the more i want to learn about how it all works.

in saying that tho, is there a colour mgt book which is more suited to wide format printing?

rfulford

It is a good book. As BBeens mentioned, it is really only good for understanding the theory of color management. Really, every book I have read on the subject is heavy on theory and light on practice.

These books are also good if you can find them.
Understanding Color Management - Abhay Sharma
The Postscriptum on Color Management (Outdated now but good for theory)

Rooster

The best book I've ever read on the subject was the manual that came with my first profiling application (picto's colorsynergy). Of course it's the only book I've read on the subject and it was a very dry read. It took three times through it from cover to cover and the majority of topics aren't even available in most profiling applications (things like tone compression curve editing), but it sank in eventually.

Custom_Grafx

It is a good book. As BBeens mentioned, it is really only good for understanding the theory of color management. Really, every book I have read on the subject is heavy on theory and light on practice.

These books are also good if you can find them.
Understanding Color Management - Abhay Sharma
The Postscriptum on Color Management (Outdated now but good for theory)

Interesting why this is. Being such an integral part of our work, you'd think someone woulda made a practical book by now.

I'll maybe buy it more for reference if for anything. Sounds like it is good to have around to answer weird questions.

I also found transparency is only very lightly covered in alot of books, where as on the adobe site recently I found info on transparency issues which outdo any book i've seen on the topic.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.