• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Botched Install?

AllStarNow

About a month ago I installed a very large decal (48"x200") on a toy hauler trailer (no rivets) using a new laminate I had never worked with before. Typically with something like this we would use 3m IJ35C and Grimco's Briteline Gloss UVOL (nothing overkill because no rivets). Well the BL OLUV happened to be out of stock at the time and we were pointed by the sales rep to Orafol Oraguard 210 Laminating Film. We had done a couple 4' x 4' signs in our production area and I could tell it acted a little differently (the new combo of IJ35C w/ Oraguard 210), but when I went to install the trailer I definitely did not use enough pressure on the first side. Maybe it was from having such a large graphic to lay vertically but what was typically enough pressure for IJ35C w/ BL OLUV, left a myriad of bubbles when I pulled off the mask. And basically at that point the bubbles never want to be fully removed, even after using a ton of heat. When I went to lay the second side I used a TON of pressure and it came out just fine. Anyway the customer sent us pictures of the side I had issues on and the vinyl is doing something weird (I'm attaching pictures). He described it as peeling up and it's definitely some of the areas I remember being bad and hitting with the heat gun. Did I overwork these areas with the heat gun and deteriorate the vinyl? I haven't seen it in person yet.

My boss think's that the trailer was just scratched and damaged and that's kinda what I thought at first too. Two of the pictures do look like just scratches, but the first one is making me wonder.

I had mentioned the difficulties to our sales rep previously since then, but he didn't really have much to say other than he hadn't really heard of people having issues with the laminate.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 495
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 326
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 330

CanuckSigns

the 2nd and 3rd pic are definitely scratches after install, he probably brushed against a tree or something.

On another note, when I was starting out with printing we did a landscape trailer for a client, same flat panels with no rivits, i used Oracal 3551 with 210 laminate, in 2 years it looks like complete c**p, the laminate was shrinking back from the vinyl, edges were feeling up it was horrible, I learned a very expensive lesson that day, just because the panels are flat doesn't mean you can use cheap vinyl!

MikePro

those are dings post-application.
Would have nothing to do with lack of application pressure, that would show-up as bubbles under the surface of the vinyl/lam, unless someone got a bit aggressive trying to flatten them out with a hard squeegee and no relief holes for the air to escape.

Last edited:

2B

the 2nd and 3rd pic are definitely scratches after install, he probably brushed against a tree or something.

On another note, when I was starting out with printing we did a landscape trailer for a client, same flat panels with no rivits, i used Oracal 3551 with 210 laminate, in 2 years it looks like complete c**p, the laminate was shrinking back from the vinyl, edges were feeling up it was horrible, I learned a very expensive lesson that day, just because the panels are flat doesn't mean you can use cheap vinyl!

agreed, that LAM, 210, is VERY short term. we have had issues with that before.
for a "BUDGET" exterior application, we use 3M™ 8048 Envision. however, we will 95% of the time use cast, even if it means less profit knowing that our reputation is more important

To the OP, those are contact damages POST install. I would suggest ALWAYS doing a detailed walk around with the customer, have them sign off.
I would also set up cameras and record the condition upon receiving the vehicle / trailer, during the install and final product

Snydo

That is boat rash, just loading it back on a trailer on a windy day could cause all of that damage. I always take photos when completing a boat wrap, especially the middle third because that is the widest part of most boats and most likely to smack a dock at 3mph.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hey, I did a few installs down there in Lafayette last month. Pretty busy town down there.

Anyway.. I can't tell what is going on in the first pic. Other two are damage after install.

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
Agreed with everyone else, that's definitely post-install damage. You can see how the film was pushed by whatever caused the damage.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Is that a Motocross trailer? If its low enough It is damage from a bar end when the rider leaned his bike against it.

On a side note. That combo of 35c and 210 wont last long at all before the 210 fails and y'all will be redoing it. For pete's sake just use cast material and charge for it. Don't race to the bottom to be cheaper than the next guy.