• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Breaking bits on MDO

gerald

If you are breaking bits at 25 ipm and the bit is ok you have a software issue and the router is actually moving faster.

What program are you using to communicate to the router with?

You could have a compatibility issue with the communication software and the program you create the work in. IE.. one is set up in inches the other in mm.

I had an issue like this once. It didn't effect speed it effected depth.

gerald

I just noticed that you were cutting 3/4 inch mdo at 1 or 2 passes. Won't work. Needs to be 4 to 5 passes. Then go about 100 to 125 ipm.

FlambeauMan

I've had the best success with .18 onsrude bit. 2 passes at 80-100 IPM. I did break a few bits when using the same size downcut bit. It was too much compacted dust on the 2nd pass. I run the router at 40,000 RPM so there's no shortage on speed. I could crank the feed a bit, but it starts sounding pretty rough. Good Luck :thumb:

GVP

Wow, 40,000 RPM? That sounds way too fast for wood. I've learned you need to make chips, not dust. Depth per pass generally shouldn't be more than the diameter of the bit. We would, on ¾" MDO, prefer to use a ½" dia. bit and cut in two passes. You can certainly crank up the IPM, but we wouldn't run at more than around 12-14000 RPM.

GVP.

FlambeauMan

The router I'm using is a 6mm collet and therefore I can't get a larger bit such as 1/2" I don't do too much MDO, but the next time I'm routing some, I'll adjust my RPM and depth of cut for more chip, less dust. Thanks for the advise GVP. :thankyou:

kerrazy

Beautiful chips the other day using a spindle set @ 180inches/min and 12000 rpm 2 passes with a 3/8 @ flute straight End mill. Soap like shavings no mess no fuss.
D