• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Bringing banner finishing in-house

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to start a new thread nonetheless.

We've been getting more and more requests/opportunities to bid on large volume banner orders and I'd like to eventually add some sort of finishing equipment in house to increase our efficiency. Our printing/cutting workflow is great, it's just once we hit the finishing stage that the efficiencies die off. Having to tape banners is less than ideal, and doesn't work great for mesh banners.

I'm open to exploring sewing or a welder and am familiar w/ the two most common brands which seem to be Juki and Leister Hemtek, respectively.

What I'm wondering is:

1. When it comes to Juki sewing machines, are there are specific models that are worth hunting for or focusing on? I've read every thread here about them and I'm still not even sure what we need. Walking foot, double-need, etc etc. it's all pretty confusing.
Looking for something that doesn't break the bank and that ideally doesn't have a HUGE learning curve. We're not hiring a seamstress anytime soon. We also won't be using it every day, so don't need something that will handle a huge volume by any means.
I've found a few random used models online but have no idea whether they would be appropriate for banners.

2. Are there any other sewing machine manufacturers worth considering aside from Juki? Bonus points for specific models that are worth looking at.

3. For those that have a Leister Hemtek and/or experience with either welder or sewing machine - Which is simpler to use, and which gives the nicer result? Ideally something that works well for scrim AND mesh.

I realize outsourcing is an option because wholesale banners are cheap etc - but we don't have that luxury here in Canada. I don't trust any local companies to do our banners (or just the finishing, which we've tried in the past) and the wholesale companies that will ship aren't competitive enough.

Thanks in advance!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think it would depend upon what is your main focus is.... as far as strength, ease of use and space you have available. Personally, I've always liked the sewn banners with nylon in the hem the best. I'd be heading in that direction.

Bxtr

We've been using a Leister welder for 20+ years. We've had the same machine and have had to get it repaired every five years with maybe $500 worth of parts in that time.
Seems like with every machinery upgrade we don't understand how we could live without it now. The speed in which you can get banners finished is unreal.
The only time we get sewn are banners with pole pockets. We are located in South Dakota so the winds here get a little crazy.

I know we had a sewing machine at one time but no one ever picked it up enough, we use a local company that sews tarps for seed trailers. They are really reasonable.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'd want to have both a welder and sewing machine with the expectation that the welder would be suitable (and faster) for 90% of the banner jobs you get. Netsol brought up sewing machine brands the other day but don't recall the one that he considered the cats ass. I'd also be looking at a semi auto grommet machine, even a chinese one to start with.

Bxtr

I'd want to have both a welder and sewing machine with the expectation that the welder would be suitable (and faster) for 90% of the banner jobs you get. Netsol brought up sewing machine brands the other day but don't recall the one that he considered the cats ass. I'd also be looking at a semi auto grommet machine, even a chinese one to start with.
IMG_2211.jpg IMG_2212.jpg We got this grommeter from YESCOM it comes with 10,000 grommets! It's been cheaper to buy another one of these instead purchasing the grommets. It only uses the top of the self piercing grommets so multiple layers of banner are tougher to get through (Corners) It has wheels to move sideways down the banner which is nice.