• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bringing over transparencies from Corel to Flexi

Flame

I have an image saved in CorelDraw 8. I can open and edit it in CoelDraw, but when I import it into Flexi I lose my background image. It's supposed to be a checkered flag background with a black overlay that has a transparency applied to it so you can see the checkers faded in teh background, in the center. I lose that when I bring it into Flexi. Anyone know how to fix this becuase my customer needed this banner yesterday!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Are you talking about a "lens" effect of transparancy? If so, you'll have to do something different since that and a number of other effects only work from within CorelDRAW.

I assume you're preparing a layout that needs to be digitally printed. If that's the case, I would either export a TIFF image from Corel (which may preserve the transparancy effects and other stuff), or I would build up the layout in Photoshop. Either way, I would be bringing a flattened raster-based image into Flexi to print.

Flame

Bobby H said:
Are you talking about a "lens" effect of transparancy? If so, you'll have to do something different since that and a number of other effects only work from within CorelDRAW.

I assume you're preparing a layout that needs to be digitally printed. If that's the case, I would either export a TIFF image from Corel (which may preserve the transparancy effects and other stuff), or I would build up the layout in Photoshop. Either way, I would be bringing a flattened raster-based image into Flexi to print.

Yeah, it's basically a lens effect, and yes, I do have to digitally print it. It's too big of a file to save as TIFF (at 300 DPI it just freezes my computer). Is there a way I can mimic the effect in Flexi? I'm really new to Flexi ( I have Flexisign Pro 7.6v2 BTW).

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You can do Effects->Lens in Flexi but that's an overall transparency, not the full boogie interactive gradient transparency that you can get in Corel. If that's what you need, create the entire image in Corel and publish it to a PDF or export it to an EPS file. Then bring the PDF/EPS file into the Production Manager and print it.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The publish to PDF step is worth a try, especially if you have a more recent version of CorelDRAW. The PDF export engine in version X3 is the best I've seen from the application (although one of my coworkers can't seem to e-mail some password protected PDFs generated from CorelX3...wierd).

If that doesn't work, I would definitely consider the Photoshop alternative.

Also, are you sure you need 300ppi resolution? With the artwork at full size, I would only use 300ppi levels for print jobs where the viewer will be standing close to the display. There's lots of jobs where I compose at 72ppi, such as a 3' X 8' bus bench ad or a large banner. I'll do a 10' X 30' billboard at 36ppi or 72ppi, depending on the job complexity. A 14' X 48' or larger board can be composed at 36ppi or even as low as 18ppi. That resolution may seem pretty coarse, but a motorist on the interstate won't notice the difference.