• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bulletin Oil Paints in Gallons

appropriate1

Tried most area sign suppliers and some internet ones, and have yet to find anyone
with GALLONS of One Shot or Chromatic or (preferred) Ronan oil-based bulletin paint.
We do sandblasted signs on urethane and redwood and many, many repaints
and just don't want to give up the color saturation we would lose with latex paints.

I'm willing to listen to latex arguments and live in a state IL where I can no longer
buy mixed colors in oil at all, but I would much rather just be told where I can buy
the oil-based sign paints that I've used for 42 years.

Many websites have it listed, but turns out none is actually in stock in most places.

visual800

Bulletin colors are the slack a$$ brother of lettering enamels....and since lettering enamels suck I would not dare use bulletin on a sign. I dont understand your comment of color saturation. Latex would be superior to these bulletin colors. They last longer and look better. As far as gallons of this "crap" I havnt seen gallons of this since ameriban stopped carryng it back in early 90s

ChicagoGraphics

Tried most area sign suppliers and some internet ones, and have yet to find anyone
with GALLONS of One Shot or Chromatic or (preferred) Ronan oil-based bulletin paint.
We do sandblasted signs on urethane and redwood and many, many repaints
and just don't want to give up the color saturation we would lose with latex paints.

I'm willing to listen to latex arguments and live in a state IL where I can no longer
buy mixed colors in oil at all, but I would much rather just be told where I can buy
the oil-based sign paints that I've used for 42 years.

Many websites have it listed, but turns out none is actually in stock in most

Bulletin colors are the slack a$$ brother of lettering enamels....and since lettering enamels suck I would not dare use bulletin on a sign. I dont understand your comment of color saturation. Latex would be superior to these bulletin colors. They last longer and look better. As far as gallons of this "crap" I havnt seen gallons of this since ameriban stopped carryng it back in early 90s
Try Rayco sign supply at (773) 267-5200 they should have gallons in both brands, I know they have been bought out but are still under their name

appropriate1

Thanks for your opinion. My comment on saturation means, to me, reds and purples in oil are deep and strong with high gloss and resist fading better than any latex paints I have seen. I've painted thousands of signs and many done with lettering enamels that you think suck are still working after 20 years. Bulletin colors are a designed to dry more flexible and less brittle than lettering enamels and tend to crack less over time on surfaces that expand and contract. I'll admit to not using many latex paints on signs, but the ones I have used all require several coats to cover fully and have shown less adhesion after a year and definitely fade much faster. You may not have seen gallons, but I have been buying gallons regularly up until a few months ago, so it does still exist for us old school, sucky painters. Ameriban, now Fellers, quit caring about sign painting in the 90s when Frank took his family pics out of his catalog and went for the dark skulls and snake-skin look. Yes, they are a good source for wraps and that end of the industry, but there is a whole market out here aside from what they offer and I've been making a good living doing what most sign guys left behind. To each his own, I guess. Thanks again, as I welcomed the latex argument.

visual800

Thanks for your opinion. My comment on saturation means, to me, reds and purples in oil are deep and strong with high gloss and resist fading better than any latex paints I have seen. I've painted thousands of signs and many done with lettering enamels that you think suck are still working after 20 years. Bulletin colors are a designed to dry more flexible and less brittle than lettering enamels and tend to crack less over time on surfaces that expand and contract. I'll admit to not using many latex paints on signs, but the ones I have used all require several coats to cover fully and have shown less adhesion after a year and definitely fade much faster. You may not have seen gallons, but I have been buying gallons regularly up until a few months ago, so it does still exist for us old school, sucky painters. Ameriban, now Fellers, quit caring about sign painting in the 90s when Frank took his family pics out of his catalog and went for the dark skulls and snake-skin look. Yes, they are a good source for wraps and that end of the industry, but there is a whole market out here aside from what they offer and I've been making a good living doing what most sign guys left behind. To each his own, I guess. Thanks again, as I welcomed the latex argument.
I like you started back when things were painted. i have used bulletin and lettering enamels. Once lead was removed these paints were horrible down here in the south. moving to latex was the best move ever. Latex is flexible and much less fade resistant than bulletin, for me. maybe its the climate thats the difference. I use high quality latex with excellent results. All my wall painting, parking deck painting are all latex now. Adhesion is superior with less trouble than enamles, I hope you find what your looking for.

rossmosh

For latex, try DTM paints. They're a nice mix between latex and enamel. I've always used PPG brand, but others should work. There's also a PPG paint called "Break Through" which you can even buy at Home Depot. It dries hard like a cabinet paint and also super fast. NovaColor paints in California also makes good latex paints wall dogs like to use but it's something that has to be shipped.

At the end of the day, you need to accept the world and market has changed. It basically boils down to investing in an automotive type paint setup like Matthews, deal with the headaches of One Shot and Ronan's supply issues, or switch over to latex after doing some experimentation.

John Miller

email me, I have a trove of unopened bulletin and one shot. I bought out a paint store in my area that sold it.