• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bullnose Effect

dlndesign

I have a project that is spec " 1" Metal Effect Sintra with Bullnose Effect", the main part I do not understand is this "Bullnose Effect", I am just looking for a simple answer or image. Thanks.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Sounds like a graphic designer spec... there is no way to tell, ask the designer.
it could be makes the edges appear to be bullnosed and thick or it could mean use a 1" peice of Sintra and bullnose it, then slap metal looking print on it.

Is this a temporary sign? Is it permanent?

dlndesign

Permanent, and its going in an Airport, really, really picky. The design came from another company no longer around and the client wants what they spec'd. So is it just rounded edges? Does that have a specific radius to it?

Rick

Is it for SDIA?

Really have to look at the spec to help you.

The designer should have called out the radius. That spec you posted is a crap spec. It means nothing. Like the designer has no knowledge of sign or finish construction.

Is there a similar sign at the airport? If there is, then there is your answer

dlndesign

No luck, this is going to be a new type of sign in the terminal, so no luck on a spec to copy. Yes, SDIA. Anyway, got to get the proof approved first, and I'll probably just shoot out some ideas and see if they stick.

Thanks.

Rick

The reason I asked is I designed the SDIA sign system. I have the completes specs. What terminal and sign type? I'm thinking someone added a sign type to the system or someone value engineered the sign.

Rick

No Sintra on the package I have, is it for the art displays or interpretive panels they have? Who knows, maybe they are using the old sign system from the other terminals.

I designed all the wayfinding, ADA, code, traffic/parking, street traffic and monument signage, no where do I have bullnose or sintra

Rick

You mean the oval sign on the existing attachment arm/backer. You are just swapping out the panels...

Are you digitally printing the face or dimensional?

If it's dimensional lettering or applied vinyl and you are painting the panel (probably some metallic color}, I would call out a 1/2" or 3/4" bullnose edge, draw a side profile and add a note for client to verify side profile prior to fabrication.

If it's digital print, do not add a routed edge, draw a side profile noting that the digital print is not recommended on a bullnosed edge, and have them confirm it.

The stores are behind the security area and unless you have a federal clearance to have a look, you have to rely on the client to get you that info...

Last edited:

dlndesign

Rick,
Thanks, I'll use your suggestions, and i'll keep you posted on what they do. Thanks for all your info.