• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buy Flexi Program or pay monthly?

LMSigns24

I got a new computer and am going to need to download flexi. Is it better to buy cd or pay monthly? I use it to design and cut, not print. Is this still the best program to use> Im so used to it and all my files are saved as flexi. I would hate to convert to something else!

player

If you have to get it, buy it. Otherwise when you stop paying, it stops working and all your files are crap.

You could try Signlab. They have been selling their full version for $750 at times...

CS-SignSupply

Will be a digital download either way you purchase. The advantage to the Subscription is that you are up to date regarding newest version and features most all the time. New features that are release will also be available in the subscription version where as an payable upgrade path will be available for the perpetual version.

If you choose the subscription, you will pay about $50 per month if you choose annual contract.

The perpetual license option will require upgrades as they become available.

A perpetual license of Flexi-SIGN (Design and cut only, no rip) retails at $1695.00.

It will take about 2.25 years of the subscription version to cover the perpetual license cost.

Give me a call if you need an activation code to get started on the Subscription version, or if you have any further questions.

Hope this helps.

player

Remember if you switch software 2-4 years down the road, you will have paid every month for 2-4 years, bam, none of your files will open, and your client's file history is not accessible. The price will go up, so you can expect to pay more and more over time. The dealers love it because they get an ongoing commission. If they sell enough they can sit back and let the monthly cheques roll in.

CS-SignSupply

Not sure the commissions Player is imagining is enough to "sit back and let the checks roll in"... especially when the commission cuts off after 1-3 years. Subscriptions are popular but on our end, they are a problem to keep track of and if a client loses their activation code, calls SAi or another dealer to get a new one, we lose that potential commission. So we have to become even more proactive regarding support while profiting less now and in the years to come.

To say I, as a value added dealer, love selling the subscriptions... not accurate.

Either way, subscription or perpetual, it is recommended to save your artwork not only as the native format but also a format that is recognizable by other programs or in the case the native file becomes corrupted for whatever reason... Even with Excel, we save most files also as a CSV.

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

LMSigns24

I think purchasing the perpetual license is best for me. I use this program mostly to design signage or anything die cut. I do most of my designing in illustrator which i keep up to date. I honestly will probably use this same version of flexi for 10 years if i could! My new computer has windows 10. Is that a problem?

player

Not sure the commissions Player is imagining is enough to "sit back and let the checks roll in"... especially when the commission cuts off after 1-3 years. Subscriptions are popular but on our end, they are a problem to keep track of and if a client loses their activation code, calls SAi or another dealer to get a new one, we lose that potential commission. So we have to become even more proactive regarding support while profiting less now and in the years to come.

To say I, as a value added dealer, love selling the subscriptions... not accurate.

Either way, subscription or perpetual, it is recommended to save your artwork not only as the native format but also a format that is recognizable by other programs or in the case the native file becomes corrupted for whatever reason... Even with Excel, we save most files also as a CSV.

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

What format can you EXPORT a Flexi file as that preserves the fonts and doesn't convert them to curves? How many graphics people save all their Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel, Signlab etc. files as eps and tiff as they go?

CS-SignSupply

Of course not all formats will preserve this data, same as most export filters from other programs.

I was just pointing out that saving a backup file in another format, in case you change software brands in 2-4 years, you will at least be able to import the files to recreate your jobs... or have a starting point from a crash or the like. I should have clarified better.

No one that I know of exports ALL files they create, or even save them for that matter but I do know many designers saving their files in AI, EPS, PDF, etc.

If someone is looking for one software that solves every potential problem they might or might not run into, forget it. If someone is preparing themselves for a catastrophic failure, best to save now in different format that CAN be imported and and build on what you have rather than start over from scratch.

Just my opinion.

player

Of course not all formats will preserve this data, same as most export filters from other programs.

I was just pointing out that saving a backup file in another format, in case you change software brands in 2-4 years, you will at least be able to import the files to recreate your jobs... or have a starting point from a crash or the like. I should have clarified better.

No one that I know of exports ALL files they create, or even save them for that matter but I do know many designers saving their files in AI, EPS, PDF, etc.

If someone is looking for one software that solves every potential problem they might or might not run into, forget it. If someone is preparing themselves for a catastrophic failure, best to save now in different format that CAN be imported and and build on what you have rather than start over from scratch.

Just my opinion.

Saving their files as AI, EPS, PDF... can't do that in Flexi. Export only. As far as backup, anyone I know makes an actual backup- using a NAS system. A copy of the file. Not exporting as a different file format.

Unless you don't trust Flexi to be able to open it's native format from one day to the next...

qmr55

I personally like the idea of being able to keep my software up to date, therefore, I recommend the subscription. It is nice getting updates often that give new features, fix flaws and so on. I consider it an expense of the business to keep the software I use to make me money up to date. Same goes for Adobe CC...

CS-SignSupply

"Remember if you switch software 2-4 years down the road, you will have paid every month for 2-4 years, bam, none of your files will open, and your client's file history is not accessible."

My way your client history would be accessible, while not 100 capable of being edited, but accessible. Whether you changed software brands or not. File corruptions happen whether it be the fault of Flexi, Windows, Anti-Virus software, backup software, electrical/component failure ...

Just an option I thought was worth mentioning. "
Saving their files as AI, EPS, PDF" should have been edited to SAVING/EXPORTING... depending on the software they are designing in.

NAS, RAID, Backup Server, Online Backups, whatever fits your situation. All viable.

player

"Remember if you switch software 2-4 years down the road, you will have paid every month for 2-4 years, bam, none of your files will open, and your client's file history is not accessible."

My way your client history would be accessible, while not 100 capable of being edited, but accessible. Whether you changed software brands or not. File corruptions happen whether it be the fault of Flexi, Windows, Anti-Virus software, backup software, electrical/component failure ...

Just an option I thought was worth mentioning. "
Saving their files as AI, EPS, PDF" should have been edited to SAVING/EXPORTING... depending on the software they are designing in.

NAS, RAID, Backup Server, Online Backups, whatever fits your situation. All viable.

The subscription model sucks. You cannot access files ever once it stops. Exporting is not going to work. The fees are a wolf in sheep's clothing. I have programs over 10 years old that are out of date, but I can still use them, and better yet, still open all my files.

CS-SignSupply

If the subscription stops, you can choose to:

1) If you like Flexi, renew the subscription and open the FS files
2) If you like Flexi, purchase a perpetual license and open the FS files
3) If you do not like Flexi and do not need any of the Flexi Files (FS) you created, purchase a different design solution such as Illustrator or a free version of Inkscape (Start Over)
4) If you do not like Flexi, save your files as FS, EPS and/or PDF as you go, cancel your subscription for whatever reason, purchase a different design solution such as Illustrator or obtain a free version of Inkscape and import your EPS or PDF files to avoid starting completely over for every client you have do work for.

If you intend to stop your Flexi subscription in the future, want to continue your design/sign business and want the ability to import the files for later use, you better export them into a more open format such as EPS, PDF, Etc. or be willing and able to recreate anything you can not access.

There are all kinds of reasons for and against a subscription model of any software. Do I like the subscription model? Not really but it is an option for all to choose. Is it a viable option? Yes but not for all.

If you have been successfully using out of date software(s) and are happy with the features/workflow you have access to, then you found a good solution for you and your business.

Again, I hope this conversation helps someone in some way :)

Fake

Boom!

I personally like the idea of being able to keep my software up to date, therefore, I recommend the subscription. It is nice getting updates often that give new features, fix flaws and so on. I consider it an expense of the business to keep the software I use to make me money up to date. Same goes for Adobe CC...

Exactly why subscription beats perp lic. The best example is Adobe CC. Master Collection used to run about $6,000 AUD. Then they would release updates every 12 - 24 months which would be at least $1,000 AUD.

If you bail on a subscription you still have all the files, if you ever need to access them again you can renew.

But, each to their own :) whatever works is what is right for you.

WildWestDesigns

Exactly why subscription beats perp lic. The best example is Adobe CC. Master Collection used to run about $6,000 AUD. Then they would release updates every 12 - 24 months which would be at least $1,000 AUD.

I didn't want to get involved in this thread, but since Adobe was mentioned, Adobe's model is actually the opposite for me.

I did the math for Design Premium (I actually only needed Design Standard, but I did it with Premium C/B of it anyway). This is when they still had the option for both types of licenses.

Buying CS6 outright (Design Premium) and upgraded every iteration from then on (in other words keeping up to date), in 7 yrs (which I hope to still be involved in my trade beyond that time period) you would be spending more for subscription then buying outright. Year 6 is the break even year. Now this assumes steady pricing throughout those years, if that changes, the model may or may not change. Just depends on the rate of change.

Subscription works if you need one program or you need all of them, but if you fall somewhere in between, your spending more for subscription over time and yes, that's upgrading your perpetual license every new version. In Adobe's case.

Now it's been said, you don't want subscription use perpetual, if you don't want perpetual use subscription. That's fine and good as long as that option is maintained. I doubt it will be. It certainly wasn't with Adobe and the writing is on the wall that most companies are pushing this.

I know I've had this discussion in another thread, but I agree with the habit of exporting more universal file formats, so "you" only don't have the proprietary file format. That may mean you have to do extra notes somewhere, may have to change your work flow a little bit. Over time, that new work flow will become habit as well. I find taking a few more notes beats having to rebuild the file form scratch in a new file format. To me, this isn't any different then creating backups.