• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a new print/plotter and a cold laminator

Buccaneer28

Hello all,

I currently have a Graphtec FC8600-160 plotter. I am looking to buy a print/plot combo, I have looked at the Roland TrueVIS VG2-540. I will be using the machine to print and plot vinyl for large signage and lettering that I heat press to fabric for awnings/canopies. Any feedback on this machine or a similar one that you prefer would be appreciated.

Most of my questions however are about cold laminators because I have never used one. I looked a Graphic Finishing Partners GFP 200 series. I watched some videos and laminating itself does not seem to be difficult. My big question is what is the best way to laminate, and then cut again around the contour of your graphics. I am familiar with using registration marks but typically this is just to match up two different colored prints before I apply them to fabric. I don't have experience running the same print through the plotter twice.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Welcome aboard BTW.....if you already have a plotter, why buy a print/cut combo machine? Having to feed back thru the printer to cut ties up your ability to print when you need to IMO. From day one for me personally, we always had 2 separate machines and it allowed us more flexibility to do more work.

Buccaneer28

It does work better if I buy the combo because we have 2 locations 3 hours apart. One location has the cutter. The other has nothing an used to outsource for graphics which is no longer getting the job done. Really the laminating is what I am concerned with most because it is something I have no experience with.