• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying new Printer..WHICH ONE?!!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
New generation Epsons....completely new build, best image quality out there, fastest production speeds. From what I've heard they are workhorse roll-to-roll machines and our S80600 (CMYKLcLmLkOR) with switchable white/metallic has been rock solid. Latex are great machines, no denying that, these Epsons are the only eco-sol that can compete IMO because they offer better, more consistent color at lower pass modes/higher speeds.

https://youtu.be/xXmvv3mf3z8
https://youtu.be/2vsy6S-3xtw

The ink cost for this one are pretty high I noticed also. In latex your at $0.17ml (Including printheads and maintenance cart) vs. $0.25ml for Epson

Signed Out

I've been noticing more and more threads lately of people having problems with their HP latex machines. Seems to be some issue with the newer models and ink delaminating from vinyl after being laminated. I've also noticed a lot of people saying there is a ton of wasted time/material everytime you have to change out media, something to do with how it has to be loaded. Not as big of a problem for large shops who can dedicate a printer to 1 media all day. But if you have to print a couple vehicles, a couple banners, some signs, and some yard signs on any given day, then changing out the media 4 times can add up. This is why our shop may still lean solvent when we upgrade.

altereddezignz

It drives me nuts to read threads like this about people getting into producing sign work. They leave out all the main factors they need. Going into a new shop all the hand tools needed, Different cleaners, Different install materials and applicator let alone having to learn something completely different. Wide format printers are a whole new animal. I had always done screen printing and my boss wanted to get into digital printing. A local shop was closing so we bought the laminater, plotter and mutoh 1324 printer. If you search for my threads you can take a look at the nightmare i went through in rebuilding this printer. New lines, ink, fuse, encoder, cleaning and doing multiple head soaks and so on. The printer now runs rather good but still have a nozzle that will not fire right but i make up for it when i design to compensate b/c i know exactly how it is going to act and no one ever knows the difference.

There are a ton of cost factors when pricing jobs. Its funny to hear a price someone is quoted from another shop. I told my boss not long ago about a new shop that was way undercutting other shops but were doing decent work. A little rushed but decent. It wasnt a year later and the shop had everything for sale due to going out of business. They where not figuring everything into thier hourly shop rate and or working for free so not being able to cover the bills.

I have seen a lot of shops do this. I really wish they would pay attention to finances and ROI and learn how to successfully run a business and manage a business before they dive in. Most people only manage a small amount of money and do not have the stress and time deadlines they do before opening a print shop. Even coming from a solid color vinyl shop there is a huge difference in the economy and the clients.

Anyways thats my .01 cent worth...

Don't be pressured because of a sale...after this one ends..HP will release another...

but being a startup...I would keep you in a latex...look at the 110...same as the 310 except...
400ml ink cartridges...self install.....very easy to do...comes with a rip in the box solution...and when you are busy enough to need a take up reel they are only $950...

normal cost per sq' production mode on 310,330, 370 $.20-.24/sq'. On the 110 it's .23-.26/sq'

same quality/resolution same PRINTHEADS same ink type same everything except smaller cartridges which by the sound of your workload should not be a problem...

buy out of state and no sales tax...free delivery from any reseller...

+.15 sqft for PH +0.10 for cleaning stuff and electricty, so make that 0.50/sqft :)

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We're currently buying genuine Epson S80600 inks for just under USD$0.17mL at the moment.
Just refreshing some outdated figures from above.

BVG

We're currently buying genuine Epson S80600 inks for just under USD$0.17mL at the moment.
Just refreshing some outdated figures from above.

Who are you buying through? We've been getting some quotes on an S80600 but haven't been getting that low on inks. I know your volume is probably higher than ours but I'm curious.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We're not pumping through huge volumes to be honest. The printer has been pretty frugal.
Try Neopost or Starleaton. We've been buying from Starleaton (DES) for ~10 years, so our prices might be beneficial due to that.