• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying new Printer..WHICH ONE?!!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I am under the impression Royal Sovereign are not well thought of. Maybe a search here will give you an idea...

Then let me add one for the other side. I love my RS laminator. Run 100' plus roll to roll for wraps all the time, no problems whatsoever.

jfiscus

Rap Master
You wont be unhappy with your Epson, We have just purchased and installed our 2nd one here, and our old Mimaki sits idle unless we have a banner to print, and the HP 360 is tarped up and just sitting in the install bay. (anybody who loves latex printers want to buy one for a great price?) The Epsons run 3+ rolls each per day w/o any issue. We spend about 30 minutes a week cleaning the capping station and heads, but we a sticklers for clean heads. (guess how many heads we ever have to replace? - none)

I would REALLY like to recommend you check out GFP laminators. I wouldn't want to buy anything else after using theirs. We have had ours for 6 months and ran hundreds, maybe thousands of rolls through it w/o problems. Almost anybody in the whole shop can jump on it and laminate.

peavey123

I'm a bit late to the party, but having run a variety of printers over the years. From multiple rolands. (SP, VP, VSI & VG) HP Latex L25500 & Mimaki printers. I would hands down recommend roland and there are many reasons, but my main reason is HP latex machines are made of plastic which breaks. Rolands are metal. What do you want? A plastic toy? or a metal workhorse? Anyone saying a HP is cheaper to run than a Roland doesn't know what they are talking about. HP's print nice, but they are more expensive over their lifetime.

You got an epson? Missed that! Good luck.

rdm01

You wont be unhappy with your Epson, We have just purchased and installed our 2nd one here, and our old Mimaki sits idle unless we have a banner to print, and the HP 360 is tarped up and just sitting in the install bay. (anybody who loves latex printers want to buy one for a great price?) The Epsons run 3+ rolls each per day w/o any issue. We spend about 30 minutes a week cleaning the capping station and heads, but we a sticklers for clean heads. (guess how many heads we ever have to replace? - none)

I would REALLY like to recommend you check out GFP laminators. I wouldn't want to buy anything else after using theirs. We have had ours for 6 months and ran hundreds, maybe thousands of rolls through it w/o problems. Almost anybody in the whole shop can jump on it and laminate.

Why is the latex sidelined? Was potentially looking at 360/370 models.

Baz

My biggest problem with a printer from HP is, it's from HP....

BTW ... Love my Roland printer and Royal Sovereign laminator.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I'm a bit late to the party, but having run a variety of printers over the years. From multiple rolands. (SP, VP, VSI & VG) HP Latex L25500 & Mimaki printers. I would hands down recommend roland and there are many reasons, but my main reason is HP latex machines are made of plastic which breaks. Rolands are metal. What do you want? A plastic toy? or a metal workhorse? Anyone saying a HP is cheaper to run than a Roland doesn't know what they are talking about. HP's print nice, but they are more expensive over their lifetime.

You got an epson? Missed that! Good luck.

Why is it then that a latex printer actually weighs more than your Roland? Its what is underneath that really matters anyways to be honest. I will tell you HP is cheaper to run over a solvent all day, what makes you think its cheaper to run a Roland? I would out produce anyones Roland HANDS DOWN NO PROBLEM. Can you run your Roland all night unattended? What do you do with all the wasted ink those machines produce? How much does it cost you to dispose of those inks also? Can your Roland run all the materials latex can, like 100 different types of fabrics and papers? How long do you have to wait to outgas?

What makes HP a great solution is it produces more applications than any other machine on the market. I can out produce any other machine in its class because I can set to run unattended. What is it worth to have more time to spend with your family and children? To me that is priceless and that's what an HP can do, its the number one machine in the industry for a reason.

Lol your running the first version of Latex and to compare it to the new models really isn't a fair statement. I don't mean to make anyone upset with my comments but I am here to educate on latex technology vs Solvent and Eco-Solvent. Why do the BIGGEST COMPANIES IN THIS INDUSTRY run fleets of latex machines? :thumb:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

Send me some files, let me show you what they can do. It would be a travesty if you didn't do a demo in person to see what these units can do. The new 500 series is amazing as well!

SkyHighJK

Why do the BIGGEST COMPANIES IN THIS INDUSTRY run fleets of latex machines? :thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Drops-Mic.jpg
    Drops-Mic.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 236

jfiscus

Rap Master
Inconsistent color. Very inconsistent color. We do a LOT of repairs for large fleet jobs, and a printer that couldn't print a repair panel a week (let alone months or a year) from now doesn't fit in our workflow. Example: We printed a phototex wall mural in 10 qty ~4x8' panels, one panel needed replaced; every time we tried printing it again it was a different color and didn't match up...

BTW, With the dryer on the Epson, you can laminate same day just fine.

dypinc

Inconsistent color. Very inconsistent color. We do a LOT of repairs for large fleet jobs, and a printer that couldn't print a repair panel a week (let alone months or a year) from now doesn't fit in our workflow. Example: We printed a phototex wall mural in 10 qty ~4x8' panels, one panel needed replaced; every time we tried printing it again it was a different color and didn't match up...

BTW, With the dryer on the Epson, you can laminate same day just fine.

What calibration on printer or linearization have you tried to bring color back in line?

I'll admit with latex you have to keep on it consistently to maintain consistent color. It is more like toner based digital presses but not as bad. Other than the big firmware update fiasco where we had to create all new media settings I can keep it pretty consistent except for the issues I had with ink starvation from having only 1 lc/lm head (but that was during a run not from one run to another) which I have learned to deal with and have no real trouble with that anymore.

peavey123

Why is it then that a latex printer actually weighs more than your Roland? Its what is underneath that really matters anyways to be honest. I will tell you HP is cheaper to run over a solvent all day, what makes you think its cheaper to run a Roland? I would out produce anyones Roland HANDS DOWN NO PROBLEM. Can you run your Roland all night unattended? What do you do with all the wasted ink those machines produce? How much does it cost you to dispose of those inks also? Can your Roland run all the materials latex can, like 100 different types of fabrics and papers? How long do you have to wait to outgas?

What makes HP a great solution is it produces more applications than any other machine on the market. I can out produce any other machine in its class because I can set to run unattended. What is it worth to have more time to spend with your family and children? To me that is priceless and that's what an HP can do, its the number one machine in the industry for a reason.

Lol your running the first version of Latex and to compare it to the new models really isn't a fair statement. I don't mean to make anyone upset with my comments but I am here to educate on latex technology vs Solvent and Eco-Solvent. Why do the BIGGEST COMPANIES IN THIS INDUSTRY run fleets of latex machines? :thumb:

Yup can run the roland over night no problems. Even has an iphone & android app. Outgasing is about an hour with the new inks on the VG series. The hp's have many plastic innerds that break constantly with use it's a known problem. I believe inks waste is disposed of for free at the wasste stations here...and I couldn't care less about printing on fabrics or canvas. Specialty items may as well just be outsourced unless you're running them often which no shop I've worked for has...So unless you're printing 24/7 the rolands are better.. hahaha

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yup can run the roland over night no problems. Even has an iphone & android app. Outgasing is about an hour with the new inks on the VG series. The hp's have many plastic innerds that break constantly with use it's a known problem. I believe inks waste is disposed of for free at the wasste stations here...and I couldn't care less about printing on fabrics or canvas. Specialty items may as well just be outsourced unless you're running them often which no shop I've worked for has...So unless you're printing 24/7 the rolands are better.. hahaha

I really respect your opinion on the HP and appreciate your feedback. My experiences have just been radically different than what you have seen by the older latex machines.

I have sold both rolands, HPs, epsons and mimakis in my career working for sign supply wholesalers. IMHO, there is no clear winner and there is pluses and minuses to both. Pick the printer that suits your needs best and I've seen it said before.. with the closest competent tech:Big Laugh

usdsoccer

New generation Epsons....completely new build, best image quality out there, fastest production speeds. From what I've heard they are workhorse roll-to-roll machines and our S80600 (CMYKLcLmLkOR) with switchable white/metallic has been rock solid. Latex are great machines, no denying that, these Epsons are the only eco-sol that can compete IMO because they offer better, more consistent color at lower pass modes/higher speeds.

https://youtu.be/xXmvv3mf3z8
https://youtu.be/2vsy6S-3xtw

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
New generation Epsons....completely new build, best image quality out there, fastest production speeds. From what I've heard they are workhorse roll-to-roll machines and our S80600 (CMYKLcLmLkOR) with switchable white/metallic has been rock solid. Latex are great machines, no denying that, these Epsons are the only eco-sol that can compete IMO because they offer better, more consistent color at lower pass modes/higher speeds.

https://youtu.be/xXmvv3mf3z8
https://youtu.be/2vsy6S-3xtw

Do they mention any outgas times? I just called Epson to find out and they RECCOMEND and STATE on the site to WAIT 24 HOURS before laminating, its great that the prints come out dry but they don't come out ready to laminate and install like it does with Latex. Cool machine though and I am sure they will do well with it.

spectrum maine

printer purchase?

before you buy a printer, figure out who will service it. in maine it is a nightmare to get a service call done & its highway robbery. i had a "reputable" company in mass do a routine maintenance (caps wipers & dampners) on my machine & he broke the riser off my head & wouldnt take responsibility for it. cost me over 1000$ for a new head. the printer printed fine that morning. its suprise unlimited when it comes to service. be warned. learn to do the simple maintenance yourself. the first few years are pretty maintenance free, as the machine ages the maintenance gets pretty severe. i have had a roland sp 540 for 8+ years & its paid for itself 50 fold. & yes you need a good laminator. i still sub out stuff to wholesalers all the time. you can do better work faster with a digital.